No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Black Glass / Gold Vases - D'Humy, IOW, Stuart Strathearn...  (Read 11825 times)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Re: Black Glass / Gold Vases - D'Humy, IOW, Stuart Strathearn...
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 10:51:08 AM »
I agree Frank,
I have had a couple of the Iestyn Davies 005 pattern Ebony and Gold small vases in my possession over the years and they certainly seem to be very similar to the black vase in the picture, in both shape and size, but just like the aubergine vase, it is unsigned.

Bryn

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 01:15:05 PM »
Hi Frank
Is the rim fire polished or cut?
The aubergine rim is polished, the black one is cut. :huh:

Bryn

Presumably the aubergine one has been fire-polished and the black one has had its rim ground down and polished, but it isn't clear whether this was done as a result of it being blown and cracked off, or whether because it has been repaired, which may be more likely. What about the bases? :)
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 01:43:59 PM »
The bases as requested ;D

Bryn

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 02:11:17 PM »
All the Stuart Strathearn ones are mould blown and have a cut rim. It is the aubergine that is the puzzle.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
Re: D'Humy,

Does anyone have any colour pictures of this glass in their libraries?

Yes, Colour Plate III from "Decorative Arts 1850 -1950, A Catalogue of the British Museum Collection" by Judy Rudoe, British Museum Press 1991 (revised 1994).

There is also a complete set of B/W photos of the D'Humy collection in addition to text discussing them.

I remember visiting the BM with the Glass Association many years ago, when, for me, the high-light was seeing these pieces in the reserve collection. The B/W pictures in particular do not do justice to them.

Whilst there is reference to him being a copiest, I would suggest that these pieces exhibit a fresh approach to the use of gold and/or silver foil to the past - just as with other later uses mentioned in this thread. In other words there is a progression in design, whether or not influenced by the predecessor(s).

By-the-by, don't forget the use of gold, and silver, foil as well as mica in early Harry Powell designed vessels.

Kind regards, Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand