No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Black Glass / Gold Vases - D'Humy, IOW, Stuart Strathearn...  (Read 11640 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Black Glass / Gold Vases - D'Humy, IOW, Stuart Strathearn...
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 11:20:53 AM »
It has been suggested I might be ruffling feathers... not the intention. It is interesting to note that D'Humy was himself seen as a copyist, copying the ancients.

The use of metal leaf as a decorative element has now been seen 1870's, 1890's, 1920's, 1930's, 1950's, 1970's and on almost continuously. IOW can possibly be seen as the re-introducers of the technique for the 1970's but their Azurene range also included form as well as decoration and that combination is unique to them.

When you study glass in depth, there are some general trends in design and presentation that define an age but dig deeper and you find elements that are ageless. Art Deco is a clearly defined movement orginating at the Pais exhibition in 1925. Yet it is bringing together many ancient motif's, primarily egyptian. The 1920's also saw the reproduction of other periods in glass but these were not as striking or prolific as that based on the Egyptian motif.

I have found another 1925 design that I am told is 1980's - the records of the past are what really can define 'original' or can they? But that is a debate that is for another thread and another day. Why not now, debate opened at http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,7965.0.html

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 11:41:36 AM »
Quote from: "Frank"
It has been suggested I might be ruffling feathers...

I am at a loss to see why that is detrimental to the debate?  Surely it is only by ruffling feathers that you get honest comment?

Or am I being naive again?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 12:53:25 PM »
in John A Brooks book on glass(1973) a flask  made in Alexandria in the first century ad was composed of clear bands of glass contaianing flecks of gold, and some designers covered a broad spectrum of the arts, Dr Christopher dresser, William Morriss ect

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 04:59:40 PM »
also when a student makes his own way after studying under a master, is h/she not influenced by his or her teacher? they may say that they are individal , but the teaching is still there, as with everything, what is passed on cannot be individual , it is a amalgam of teacher and student, a pliable mixture of influences , from the teachers  teacher, and the student who becomess the teacher, im sure if you asked Adam if he thought any of his students were influenced by him , he would like to think they were, but also that they had their own ideas of what design should be. ( did any of that make sence?) sue x

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 05:05:39 PM »
Totally agree, and surely it is a tribute to the masters skill that his students should carry on the tradition. Perhaps they might even improve or develop the techniques learned, but this is called progress :P
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 10:04:01 PM »
Can we discuss in the cafe thread please  :)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,7965.0.html

Offline pattanne

• Members
Iestyn Davies Black / Gold Vases
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2006, 02:08:06 PM »
Well at last I think I've managed to attach the pictures of my vases to this post. I have found it fascinating reading all the posts that have been linked to this topic.  Do these have any value at all, I would like to know as I am going to be reviewing my home insurance in the next few weeks.

Thank you for your help so far.

Pat

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3859
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3858
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3857

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 02:27:39 PM »
Those pics are very small Pat - almost thumbnail size.  Is there any chance of a bigger photo? Or is it just me that has a problem with viewing them?  :(
I am not a man

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2006, 02:43:05 PM »
They are small photos - what did you use to take them Pat?

They need to be reduced from the original camera photo to something like, say, 640x480 or 480x360 (as a rough guide) to make them usable. Increasing the size of these will not help.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 02:48:06 PM »
Not huge value, say 10 to 50 euros based on size. But certain to grow. Occasionally a couple of people decide to battle it out and they can go higher but they do seem fairly common.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand