No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A couple of questions about Flavio Poli.  (Read 12191 times)

Offline Jay Kaner

• Members
A couple of questions about Flavio Poli.
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 10:24:03 PM »
Quote from: "chuggy"
Hi Jay
The ashtray in your 4th picture is definitely not Poli and these were mass produced in huge quantities and turn up at most boot fairs at about £5 each.
The two blue pieces in your last picture look more Scandinavian than Murano and they are also certainly not Poli.
You will find that Poli actually produced very little glass since his primary role was as chief designer so his creations were largely produced by other workers, though these include some very notable names of Murano glass blowing such as Archimede Seguso during his work for Seguso Vetri d'Arte, not to be confused with his work at his own studios.
Hope this helps a litte,

Actually, it really does  :D    I've never really being sure of how it all worked, like did he design and make the pieces or did others make them, etc.  

All I know is the scant info accompanying the pictures in the books I have that has his work in them.  I was surprised as to how little info I could google up on him, so it's good to find out whatever I can.

the situation should be clarified greatly when the long awaited book on Seguso Vetri d'Arte is finally published, but I know they have run into a few problems and it is now not likely to hit the streets until next year, but having seen an early proof it will be worth the long wait.
Paul

That sounds like it will be worth buying, even if it's just for the pictures  :wink:

Thanks for the reply  :)   By the way, is the ashtray Murano?

Jay

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 06:47:08 AM »
Hi Jay yes the ashtray is Murano. The sommerso designs of Poli has been used as the basis for vast amounts of replicated pieces over the years and these days I think that probably 80% of this type of item that comes up on e-bay is wrongly attributed either in deliberate attempts to cash in on the name or due to the lack of knowledge of the vendors. A veritable minefield for the buyers.
Most important of all with regard to your items is the pleasure you gain from them and after all that is the most important thing in any of this.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 04:50:55 PM »
Hi Jay
The ashtray in your 4th picture is definitely not Poli and these were mass produced in huge quantities and turn up at most boot fairs at about £5 each.

I have seen one with a Romanian sticker.

The 'bow-tie' vase:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3464

... could be Mandruzatto - others may be as well. Some nice pieces you have there!
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 12:09:39 AM »
Funny thing - i came across this thread when researching a piece i found - very similar to the bowtie 3464 - only it's purple - aplogies for the picture quality!

The lable reads "genuine venetian glass made in murano italy", no knowledge of age etc but the label has a lot of wear & tear.

I found one on ebay too - here

The ebay listing has it as designed for Seguso Vetri D'arte. None of these vases match your piece tho in terms of beauty.

Vase :

Label :
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 12:48:09 PM »
Hi,
I'm sorry to tell you that those pieces are all 100% not Poli pieces.
They are in heavy glass and therefore the technique is similar to the Poli's vases, but they are an actual inexpensive production. May be made by Formia or one of the other factories producing in quantities.
The nicer piece is the photo n°3, but I don'0tn think this an orginal Poli, but it is the closer one.

Actually there are also some sommerso glass imported from China with very similar features.

Sincerely

Alex

http://www.artofvenice.com

Offline Jay Kaner

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 10:14:06 AM »
Hi Jay yes the ashtray is Murano. The sommerso designs of Poli has been used as the basis for vast amounts of replicated pieces over the years and these days I think that probably 80% of this type of item that comes up on e-bay is wrongly attributed either in deliberate attempts to cash in on the name or due to the lack of knowledge of the vendors. A veritable minefield for the buyers.
Most important of all with regard to your items is the pleasure you gain from them and after all that is the most important thing in any of this.
Paul

Too true.   Whatever they are, they look great.  Especially set against the other asymmetrical freeform organic 50's ceramic vases they're displayed with.  8)

And you're right, it is a veritable minefield for us buyers.  More than I realised.  I always used to think no matter what, at least they were period pieces.
Great  :lol:   Since finding this GMB (cheers Chris  :wink: ) I'm now  spending twice as long in the charity shops looking at any and all glass things, and now I'll be spending twice as long looking at Poli vases on eBay as well!!  :?   :wink:

Jay

Offline Jay Kaner

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 10:14:54 AM »
Quote from: "alexander"
Funny thing - i came across this thread when researching a piece i found - very similar to the bowtie 3464 - only it's purple - aplogies for the picture quality!

The lable reads "genuine venetian glass made in murano italy", no knowledge of age etc but the label has a lot of wear & tear.

I found one on ebay too - here

The ebay listing has it as designed for Seguso Vetri D'arte. None of these vases match your piece tho in terms of beauty.

Hi Alexander.

I think all three of these vases, yours, mine and the eBay one, are cool.  I'd happily own any of 'em!!   :D

As for the age of your vase.  Before I found this GMB I would've unhesitatingly said sometime late 50's.  Granted, that answer would've come from the heart, rather than from any fact based knowledge.  

But now, I'd hesitatingly date it...sometime late 50's  :?:

If I were you, I'd wait until somebody who knows what they're on about answers that for you.   :wink:

Jay

You should bear in mind that that heart and fact based knowledge thing still applies   :wink:

Offline Jay Kaner

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 10:16:23 AM »
Quote from: "DenCill"
Hi Jay

I have seen one with a Romanian sticker.

The 'bow-tie' vase:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3464

... could be Mandruzatto - others may be as well. Some nice pieces you have there!

Thanks  :D  I love that 50's organic, asymmetrical style that they have.

Mandruzzato has some really nice stuff in there, though I am surprised at how many 50's and 70's style pieces they're still doing today  Nice stuff tho'.  :)

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 04:59:50 PM »
That seller might have a couple of correct attributions, but in general his descriptions and attributions should be ignored.  He's been selling and collecting a long time, and doesn't have any excuse for calling the orange bottle "Barovier" when it clearly is not (it's most likely Barbini), and the piece Jay linked to "Seguso, Poli" when it's contemporary, by Formia.

If you want to see the Chinese sommersos, seach ebay for seller thewesternart.

Offline Jay Kaner

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 01:39:22 PM »
Quote from: "Laura Friedman"
If you want to see the Chinese sommersos, seach ebay for seller thewesternart.

Hi Laura.  :)   Thanks for that.   After having a look at thewesternart's stuff, I am fairly sure none of my pieces are Chinese.     None of the 50's style pieces they were selling looked original.  They all looked exactly like what they are, modern rip-offs.  Just the sort of thing you see in the TK Max's of the world and other shops like those.

Jay

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand