No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown clear glass comport  (Read 1443 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Unknown clear glass comport
« on: October 09, 2006, 01:12:26 AM »
Hi all again,

As Im totally lacking in books and it seems knowledge...any information at all would be great..

Measures approx 10cm high , top is just over 12cm across. Ruffled edge. Hollow stem. Snapped pontil? I guess thats what you call it. Some of the bases of the ruffles carry down to the bowl, I guess you would call them imperfections.

Age? Maker? Once again any help. I did think Fenton with the ruffled edge but I know buckleys..

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3601
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3602

Selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Connie

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 10:43:27 AM »
Hi Selina -

I can't tell you what it is, but I can tell you it isn't Fenton.

The ball stem and rough pontil do not fit with Fenton.

Are the balls in the stem hollow?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 11:15:10 PM »
Thanks Connie  :) Thats one down...lol. Thanks so much for replying too. There are a lot of queries on the board.

Yes the balls in the stem are hollow. I have a Victorian pulpit vase and how this one is made reminds me of it a lot. I have no maker on that either but just the way they are both made with the snapped pontil and the faults in the glass.
Also I put comport for this, but its so very small...like a little lolly/candy dish.
So now Im wondering Victorian?

Selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 11:46:13 AM »
Hi all,

I know this is an old post but I ended up taking this bowl to a glass dealer. So now Im confirmed its Victorian, approx 1880, little comport or sweet dish. Just in case anyone else has one in their collection or needed to know.

Selina
Trudy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand