No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lowdown on Liskeard  (Read 3051 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Lowdown on Liskeard
« on: October 09, 2006, 02:23:12 PM »
I know there was a little debate about Liskeard, the date they started, and the founders.

I managed to locate a report in Tableware International, dated September 1972, where they mention the company started "in September last", meaning the true start date is September 1971.

The quality of the photo is not terribly good, but click on the larger photo to zoom in further.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3603
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Lowdown on Liskeard
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 03:28:07 PM »
Well done David! That's an excellent bit of sleuthing - also, wasn't there some confusion about the founders being ex-Whitefriars employees - your article says they met at Wedgwood so that's another useful bit of info.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Lowdown on Liskeard
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 03:32:32 PM »
Would the Andrew Moncrieff mentioned be connected to the Monart Moncrieff's?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Lowdown on Liskeard
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 03:48:17 PM »
Thanks Pip, I wasn't sure if this 'problem' was ever resolved or not! :P

Quote from: "Anne"

I did wonder - waiting for Frank to chip in... :wink:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Lowdown on Liskeard
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 06:52:33 PM »
Quote from: "Anne"

The answer to this is yes...... and no! He shared the name but was not related to the owners. However, he was connected.  From memory, Andy did his apprenticeship at John Moncrieff's and remained there when it became Strathern. When he joined me in 1987 at my Turnmill Studio in London's Turnmill Street, he had just been made redundant by Wedgwood Glass in King's Lynn where he moved after leaving Liskeard. Caithness had just bought the Kings Lynn factory from Wedgwood and he was with me from 1987 to 1989, together with his son Alistair (Ally). I think after that he may have switched careers, but I think Alistair moved into flat glass decoration.

I will have to think about this a bit, and I cannot promise anything, but I have a vague recollection that he moved from Strathern to Wedgwood, then left Wedgwood to go to Liskeard and then went back to Wedgwood. But I am delving into the depths of my rapidly diminishing grey cells, so I am not 100% sure. Some of these comments tie in with another thread in the Cafe, about accuracy!
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Lowdown on Liskeard
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 07:10:47 PM »
Thanks Adam, that's most illuminating. I didn't realise you knew him so well :)
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline glassaddict

• Members
Lowdown on Liskeard
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 07:20:11 PM »
I drove along Station Road this afternoon (I live near Liskeard). BTW I think Lisgeard is an old spelling for Liskeard hence the confusion in earlier posts. Should I have called and got them to read this forum?  :lol:
Hil

Offline stevetheb

• Members
Odd isn't it...
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 08:00:52 PM »
I too live in Liskeard about 500 metres from Liskeard Glass... before that I lived near King's Lynn and used to frequent both Wedgwood and later Caithness.. indeed my wife at the time used to work at Caithness...

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Odd isn't it...
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 09:05:16 PM »
Quote from: "stevetheb"
I too live in Liskeard about 500 metres from Liskeard Glass... before that I lived near King's Lynn and used to frequent both Wedgwood and later Caithness.. indeed my wife at the time used to work at Caithness...

Hey, several months ago I sold a purple Liskeard knobbly on eBay to a Steve who lived very near the glassworks - would that be you?  :)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Lowdown on Liskeard
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 09:26:44 PM »
Adam a wrote:
... Andy did his apprenticeship at John Moncrieff's and remained there when it became Strathern.
I think this may be an example of what Adam called his "diminishing grey cells" (but may more truthfully just be a mix up of partially remembered facts).

I don't think John Moncrieff's "became Strahearn", as that was a restructuring and renaming of the former Vasart Ltd, which itself was a restructured version of the original Ysart Brothers Glass. The founders of Ysart Brothers Glass were, of course, three of the Ysart family who were formerly at John Moncrieff's.

But was there a connection in some way between Moncrieff's and Stuart Strathearn, post 1980, after Stuart Crystal had taken over Strathearn from the guys at Teachers Whiskey?
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand