No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano vs Chinese ..... ?  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Murano vs Chinese ..... ?
« on: October 11, 2006, 12:32:12 AM »
Recently, under Glass and MGS, Carterofmars listed a vase that has generated much discussion.  I believe the postings have come down on the side of the canes, if not the entire vase, being Murano (Moretti/Effetre) rather than Chinese.  I am posting my paperweight because the canes look very similar to my eye.  This weight has no adventurine in it.  The glass is very clean and clear; the bottom polished.  Any lines you see in the side view are only a reflection.  It is bright and cheery.  I would appreciate learning more about this pw (age, maker, value if possible, etc.).

Thank you .... Lily    

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3614

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 01:26:07 AM »
The cane style and the colors are definitely Murano. The shape of the paperweight and the way the canes are encased look Chinese. Is it possible for Italian canes to be used in a Chinese paperweight?
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 07:51:26 AM »
Definitely looks like 'Moretti' canes, as in the vase, to me!  Although theoretically these canes are for sale on the internet and could therefore have been bought by a Chinese glassmaker, I don't think this is the case.  If picture 2 is of the base, it certainly doesn't look like Chinese finishing to me!  I'd say definitely Murano, probably made on the island, 'cheap & cheerful' tourist ware.  Very jolly!   :D
Leni

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 02:22:07 PM »
I have a chinese weight with a very nicely finished base like that. Some of the newer weights do.

I do think it is less likely that that those are italian canes in a chinese weight. The tourist-ware explanation works for me. Makes me wanna go touristing with plenty of pocket change.  :D
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 05:18:40 PM »
Thank you both for your posts :)   This really is a happy-looking weight.  It presents itself well from all angles and appears well-balanced.  (That is perhaps more that I can say for myself at times! :wink:  Anyway, your thoughts/input are most appreciated and I look forward to the next time!

All the best ... Lily

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand