No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: My new Saint Louis  (Read 2671 times)

Offline alexander

• Members
My new Saint Louis
« on: October 11, 2006, 01:15:15 PM »
This is my newest find, a newer Saint Louis ( i think 70/80ies?), the pattern is called Alhambra i believe.

What do you think? Does anyone have more information on this piece or pattern? I wasn't dirt cheap but not bad either, pristine condition.

The photo doesn't do it justice, it's very nice, i saw this at at auction house but forgot to check the date on the signature cane  :oops:

I've ordered the jagstorf book but it isn't in yet so i haven't got any books to look in.

Thanks

Edit : typos
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
My new Saint Louis
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 02:26:04 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations on a wonderful find!
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline alexander

• Members
My new Saint Louis
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 02:29:56 PM »
Thanks - i kinda fell for it the minute i saw it - ended up at about $220 since some spoilsports also wanted it - it had a reserve of $50! ( so i was hoping noone who knew about saint louis'es would see it until it was too late )

Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow  :D
Alexander

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
My new Saint Louis
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 02:40:35 PM »
Oh my gosh! That is a steal! I don't have any St Louis yet because it's out of my range. If I had stumbled across one for that, I would snapped it up in a heartbeat.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
san louie
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 02:53:09 PM »
Very, very nice St. Louis.

In Paris, along the start of Rue de Paradis (around numbers 20 through 60), the street is lined with retail shops selling new glass and china. I think there are around 20 shops. Absolutely no bargain prices here, but the items offered for sale are truly breathtaking. During its glory days, Rue de Paradis was the central location for the showrooms of the most important French glass makers and china and pottery dealers. You'll see the buildings where St. Louis and Baccarat had their original showrooms. Their names are etched in stone above or near entranceways. Today, the nearby neighborhood around Rue du Paradis is close to what's really a funkier bit of Paris. Exiting the closest Metro stop at Chateau D'Eau at Blvd. de Strasburg was like exiting into a different country. Was French even spoken?

What stunned me about the paperweights (and other glass) in these shops was the staggering prices wanted for contemporary Baccarat and St. Louis work. It was obvious that to these French dealers, eBay might as well be a speck in the world of commerce. Contemporary paperweights that should really sell for for $300 to $1200 (USD) had price stickers ranging from 2500 Euros to 10,000 Euros. It was as the French didn't care what anybody thought or didn't care if they sold any. And each shop had a wonderful assortment of weights. One had about 50 on its shelves.

We all know that on eBay, contemporary French sulphides go for between $20 and $80 (USD). Not in Paris on Rue du Paradis. How about the standard John XXIII (not even an overlay) for 720 Euros? It's original release price in 1966 was $37 (USD). The same shop had a John XXIII overlay sulphide for 1600 Euros. The original release price was $145 (USD).

In every shop, incredibly well-dressed saleswomen treated each item as if it were a museum piece. It was like stepping back in time.

Meanwhile, three blocks away, scores of immigrant street vendors were selling incense for one Euro, bootleg DVD's for 5 Euros, rings and necklaces for 7, and shoes for 10. I'll tell you something, you've really got to love the French.

Offline alexander

• Members
My new Saint Louis
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 07:49:28 PM »
I finally have it in my hands - went to the auction house today to pick it up.
I had looked at it once before when I was in a rush, this time I a took a good look and found a nick on the top - not a big issue as far as looks go but I was none too pleased - the picture above is the only angle that wouldn't show it!

Overall tho I'm very happy with it, it's reglar size - about 3" wide at the base, the signature cane is there and shows SL 19x7 , the decade number has a tiny bubble straight above it so it's almost impossible to tell, looking at it with a magnifying glass it looks like 1967.

Should i do something about the nick on top or would that reduce the value significantly?

The detail is incredible, some of the canes are exquisite, so even tho it was my biggest investment so far i'm quite pleased. Now to convince the wife  :wink:
Alexander

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand