No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Adam's mystery object  (Read 9479 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Adam's mystery object
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2006, 06:26:40 AM »
To lower the tone (again) for enemas or douches

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Adam's mystery object
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006, 06:31:51 AM »
Quote from: "Lustrousstone"
To lower the tone (again) for enemas or douches

You're getting close on the method of use, but way off on the application!
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
Adam's mystery object
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2006, 06:45:14 AM »
It is a very simple form of pipette. Glassmakers made these to use at the bench. You dip it in your bucket of water, fill it with water, and then put your thumb over the large end so that you can apply a stream of water,fairly accurately, where needed. The plastic "fairy liquid" bottle has rendered it almost extinct, but some people still use them. According to Eddie King who works with me and started off his glassblowing career at Whitefriars, they used to make them there.

I think it is interesting because while glass blowers often had to make a lot of their own tools, and still do, so far as I know, it is probably the only one that they made out of glass, for obvious reasons.

A piece of glassmaking history that is in danger of getting lost, I suspect.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Adam's mystery object
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2006, 06:47:09 AM »
Whoops, just had to delete my post...didn't see the answer had been written.  Phew...that saves my blushes!   :lol:
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Adam's mystery object
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2006, 07:27:42 AM »
Quote from: "aa"
As with many things, it is often the simple answer that evades us....  :lol:

Misleading clue of the century huh!  At least for anyone not making regular use of plastic bottles for direct streams of water :lol:

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Adam's mystery object
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2006, 03:45:08 PM »
I wondered about a pipette but couldn't imagine why one in that shape would be needed or for what so discounted it as a possibility!  :oops:   It never occurred to me it would be used by glassmakers!  :roll:

Nice one Adam, I await your next mystery object with interest!  :lol:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Adam's mystery object
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2006, 04:37:37 PM »
Pipette?

I thought you glassmakers just dunked your tongs or pincers in the bucket and then aplplied the edge of the tool to the glass thus allowing the residue of water to do the cooling - with a very precise application.

So much for ...
KevH ... I have a feeling that he'll get it straightaway....
:D  :D
KevinH

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Adam's mystery object
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2006, 05:13:37 PM »
Quote from: "KevH"
Pipette?

I thought you glassmakers just dunked your tongs or pincers in the bucket and then aplplied the edge of the tool to the glass thus allowing the residue of water to do the cooling - with a very precise application.

So did I Kev! :lol:

So much for ...
KevH ... I have a feeling that he'll get it straightaway....
:D  :D

That was just a red-herring to lead us astray methinks!  :shock:  :wink:  :lol:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Adam's mystery object
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2006, 05:43:12 PM »
Quote from: "aa"
It is a very simple form of pipette. Glassmakers made these to use at the bench. You dip it in your bucket of water, fill it with water, and then put your thumb over the large end so that you can apply a stream of water,fairly accurately, where needed. The plastic "fairy liquid" bottle has rendered it almost extinct, but some people still use them. According to Eddie King who works with me and started off his glassblowing career at Whitefriars, they used to make them there.

I think it is interesting because while glass blowers often had to make a lot of their own tools, and still do, so far as I know, it is probably the only one that they made out of glass, for obvious reasons.

A piece of glassmaking history that is in danger of getting lost, I suspect.

Of course!! like a toddy lifter.

which by the way to lower the tone again, always makes me think of skirt lifters whenever I hear the term...

Oh and you lot...... you would not believe the haul I got today.... everything from Val St Lambert cameo sort of thingies, to a Schneider vase, to some iridescent stuff, to green rummers to modern HUGE vases that will have to go back into auction as they are just too big to send, to....

I'll have to get my act together and let you see some pics.  We also bought 50 Beatrix Potter figures, but you probably didn't want to know that.... :lol:  :lol:
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
Adam's mystery object
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2006, 06:43:32 PM »
Pipette?

This works ok if you have a piece that has been necked in tightly, but with some thick pieces you need a lot of water..much more than you can get on your pincers or jacks. :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand