No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Adam's mystery object  (Read 9475 times)

Sklounion

Adam's mystery object
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2006, 08:25:43 PM »
Oh, so Boy Scout camp fire extinguishers are a bit useless in such situations???? :oops:
Regards,
Marcus

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Adam's mystery object
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2006, 12:21:43 AM »
So this might be because I have only seen glass blown once, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what the steady stream of water is used for?  :oops:

Help please :!:  :lol:

Carolyn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Adam's mystery object
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2006, 06:20:31 AM »
Classical and studio glassblowing is a two stage process. The main body of a vessel is prepared on a blowing iron and the neck and rim of the piece is finished on a punty iron. Water is sometimes used to chill the neck and create a weak point to enable the transfer to the punty iron. Small, relatively thin pieces do not always need these;indeed water can irreversibly crack and ruin a small piece. On thicker pieces where there is lot of heat retention and not sufficient temperature contrast between the neck and the body of the vessel, water is used as a coolant to crack the surface of the neck, so that the piece detaches when the iron is tapped, or hit with a piece of wood. Applying water to hot glass is not normally a good idea as you can crack the piece or get frizzle marks. So accurate application is needed. Once on the punty, the cracked rim can be melted, and sheared so any cracking from the water is lost.

I am afraid this is one of those "you have to be there" situations to fully grasp the process, but I hope this helps. :D
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Adam's mystery object
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2006, 12:44:59 AM »
Yes, it did help. The glass blowing I was able to see was a large bowl. Quite gorgeous, but no water was used, except to cool the tools  :lol:

Carolyn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand