No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dating Mdina....  (Read 8278 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Dating Mdina....
« on: October 12, 2006, 09:00:14 PM »
Hello, this one's for Sue primarily, what with being the Mdina Maestro, but obviously I'd be delighted for anyone to chip in with info.  

Below are links to two pieces of Mdina - the first one is an Amethyst Trailed vase - what I want to know is, am I right in thinking this is an early colour and as such reasonably desirable?  The second one is unusual (for me anyway since I've not seen one the same before) in that it's frosted white glass with blue trailing with an old looking paper label.  Any idea on dates and desirability on this one also?  Obviously they're both nice but from a collector's point of view I'd be interested because I've hit a very solid brick wall in my research and I'm still very much on a learning curve with Maltese glass.  Thanks mucho in advance.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/Mdina-Amethyst0001.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/Mdina-Frosted0001.jpg

Sklounion

Dating Mdina....
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 10:07:50 PM »
One for Mark Hill????
regards,
Marcus

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Dating Mdina....
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 10:15:05 PM »
Quote from: "Le Casson"
One for Mark Hill????
regards,
Marcus

Unfortunately these aren't covered in his new book :-( which I must stress is an excellent reference source on Maltese glass and well worth buying - perhaps I should do a book review on it >>>I'll add that to my long list of 'must-dos'... in the meantime.... any ideas?

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 12:56:13 PM »
Is the amethyst one actually marked Mdina?  It bears remarkable similiarities to Whitefriars Pat. No  9802 (6") or 9801 (7")  Random strapped which came in colour Aubergine in 1972!!! Have a look in the W.F catalogues at how similiar they are!!! Emmi

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Dating Mdina....
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 01:21:37 PM »
I'm sure Sue would be interested so I just nudged her! (electronically, I mean) :lol:
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Post subject
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 03:45:10 PM »
Quote from: "vidrioguapo"
Is the amethyst one actually marked Mdina?  It bears remarkable similiarities to Whitefriars Pat. No  9802 (6") or 9801 (7")  Random strapped which came in colour Aubergine in 1972!!! Have a look in the W.F catalogues at how similiar they are!!! Emmi

That's interesting Emmi but it is signed Mdina - I'm thinking it's probably around the same date as the WF one you mention - I wonder if there was an element of copying going on and who was copying who?

Cheers David - I know Sue's a very busy lady but I'm sure she'll catch up with this thread eventually :-)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 05:22:12 PM »
Good job it is marked then....extraordinary how similar it is....no idea who copied who.....got to say I found another Mdina vase not long ago which was very similar to   a Whitefriars studio vase with strapping.  It wasn't signed  Mdina so I hummed and ahrred for ages whether to buy or not to buy....I didn't, so still have no idea what it was.  It was quite dear so didn't want to make an expensive mistake!

I some Mdina unsigned?  Emmi

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Post subject
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 05:59:38 PM »
Quote from: "vidrioguapo"
Is some Mdina unsigned?  Emmi

Yes quite a lot is unsigned - a lot of the early stuff in particular and for a brief period in the late 60's some pieces also had a polished pontil.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Dating Mdina....
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 06:15:01 PM »
I do have two unsigned pieces with random strapping that I've always assumed were Mtarfa. As the two sigs can look similar, I'm wondering if it could be Mtarfa?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Dating Mdina....
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 06:49:26 PM »
Nope, it's most definitely Mdina - see piccie below...

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/amethystsig0001.jpg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand