No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dating Mdina....  (Read 8277 times)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 07:26:43 PM »
As a matter of interest, what are the dimensions of this piece?  Emmi

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Dating Mdina....
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 07:37:17 PM »
Sure, it's 7.5in tall and 3in diameter.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Dating Mdina....
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 10:35:39 AM »
:D

The first piece is definitely Mdina, post Harris, as it is marked, but soon after. The colouring is very good, with shades of yellows under the amethyst. I don't understand how it could be confused with Whitefriars! The second is a good bit later, but still Mdina. I don't know when frosting came in, and I avoid frosted bits if I can. Just my personal taste, I loathe it.

If you get your sticky little mitts on Mark's book - a fantastic read, you'll find out the real story behind "who copied who" as far as the bark textured things are concerned, as this was actually not the case at all, it was more of a collaberation of two fascinated and enthusiastic artists at Whitefriars and Mdina, discussing new ideas together. The credit for the origin of bark textured pieces in the 20th century should probably really go to Timo Sarpaneva.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 10:41:29 AM »
It bears remarkable similiarities to Whitefriars ....

Only said "similar"....in any event thought the yellow was reflection from something else.....and you can't deny it is similar!!!   Lovely glass to which I am always attracted but don't collect!  Emmi

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Dating Mdina....
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 10:59:48 AM »
:D :D :D

Please don't take any offence, {{{Emmi}}}, if it sounded that way, it had just come out wrongly!

I have to confess a love of certain Whitefriars myself, but can't afford a Peter Wheeler "Peacock" vase! But I do have a strapped amethyst vase!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Dating Mdina....
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 11:03:33 AM »
Sue, while you are around, could you have a look at a Lollipop listing of mine and let me know if you think it is Mdina (as I do I think) or Isle of Wight?

Lollipop vase  

Thanks,
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Dating Mdina....
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2006, 12:16:30 PM »
Quote from: "chopin-liszt"
:D

The first piece is definitely Mdina, post Harris, as it is marked, but soon after. The colouring is very good, with shades of yellows under the amethyst. I don't understand how it could be confused with Whitefriars! The second is a good bit later, but still Mdina. I don't know when frosting came in, and I avoid frosted bits if I can. Just my personal taste, I loathe it.

If you get your sticky little mitts on Mark's book - a fantastic read, you'll find out the real story behind "who copied who" as far as the bark textured things are concerned, as this was actually not the case at all, it was more of a collaberation of two fascinated and enthusiastic artists at Whitefriars and Mdina, discussing new ideas together. The credit for the origin of bark textured pieces in the 20th century should probably really go to Timo Sarpaneva.

Thanks Sue - most helpful - so I was right in thinking that the amethyst is probably early 1970's.   The frosted one has quite an old (yellowed) paper label on it but I think they carried on using that label until the late 1980's so from what you've said and the state of the label I'm thinking it's 80's.  I know what you mean about the frosting - I must admit it's not my favourite type of Mdina however it was going for pennies and I do love a bargain especially if it's labelled :-)  By the way, I have Mark's book but I've only devoured the photographs so far I've not actually read it  :oops:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Dating Mdina....
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 10:31:19 AM »
:D 8) :D

So Pip, you'll know that Lynne's vase is Mdina!

DO read the book - it's absolutely fascinating about the glass itself, particularly about how the colours were achieved, and it's a fantastic story about the whole family and their involvement.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Dating Mdina....
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 10:37:08 AM »
Hurray!  I know it might be Boo!  that it isn't Isle of Wight, but to be honest I DID think it was a long shot, and now I know for certain.

Many thanks Sue!

Is this colourway fairly early?

Pip, what does the book say?  I really should have bought it at the fair.  Silly me.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Dating Mdina....
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 12:17:40 PM »
Rightey oh Lynne - well, the book says this is a Lollipop vase (not a fish vase which is a sort of squarer shape) designed by Michael Harris and produced from the mid 1970's until the 1990's - since yours isn't signed that would indicate an earlier rather than later piece.  The book gives a price estimate on one a quarter of an inch smaller than yours at £50-£70. Hope that helps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand