No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A new Ysart design Frank??  (Read 3416 times)

Offline cfosterk

• Members
A new Ysart design Frank??
« on: October 14, 2006, 03:04:11 PM »
Not sure how many examples of this type of Ysart weight there are out there! I've seen the illustration of the entwined garlanded butterfly - but this was in my late fathers collection.

Views would be appreciated. A 'new' design Frank??

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l139/cfosterk/DSCF0101.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l139/cfosterk/DSCF0103.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l139/cfosterk/DSCF0104.jpg

This next one shows my limited collection of ysart weights....

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l139/cfosterk/DSCF0112.jpg

more on the cap badge to follow - attribution is dubious in my view...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 06:18:55 PM »
Nice bunch, Kevin is the expert on the weights though.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cfosterk

• Members
bergstrom plate 61 bristol
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 01:08:17 PM »
this is the only other documented example i've seen (also illustrated in colour in Cloak ref 319 correctly as Ysart).

I'll await Kevins considered view.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 02:03:50 PM »
There are "a few" or perhaps "several" known examples of PY weights using an "Interlaced Garland" or "Looped Garland" pattern.

The one shown in the Cloak book (and the later Bergstrom Museum edition), was also shown in b&w in Evangeline Bergstrom's 1940 work Old Glass Paperweights - page 61. It was attributed as Bristol and because it was unsigned, did not get removed from the reprint of the book, which was the fate of the two other weights signed PY that were orignally thought to be antique French.

The garlands vary in their form. Some are true "interlaced" with the lines of canes going "over and under" - which could also be called "interlaced trefoils". Others have the loops formed as in the one shown in this thread - with one line of canes to the outer and one line to the inner making loops of two colours. And then some have the loops in the same colour but with alternating colours for adjacent loops.

I have missed out on two of these types of weight as I was not prepared to make a high enough bid.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cfosterk

• Members
garland PY weight
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 05:14:40 PM »
I think your observation is spot on Kevin - it is not an interlaced garland. Probably more accurately described as a patterned garland, or in your terms a looped garland.

I think it's early-ish, just based on the smokey tinted gather, but some of the canes look to be 1940's or more likely 1950's (observations of a novice collector).

Bought at the Queens Hall antiques fair and fleamarket in the early 1990's - possibly the best regular event ever held in Yorkshire, and sadly now departed from the fair calendar - the site is now a car park, but will shortly be a 40-odd storey office/flat complex!! Bought for a reasonable £40.

The close-packed weight was listed on ebayer a year or two ago, and I think you might even have bid!! Thankfully ebay suspended the listing (don't forget to update your fees payment details ever as it can create havoc) and I have seen sence - a good buy for £55 at an antique shop in Ilkley in 2002.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand