No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Some Ysart/Vasart/Jack Allan weights for ID  (Read 4012 times)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Some Ysart/Vasart/Jack Allan weights for ID
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 06:06:04 PM »
Hi Andy,

I can access the images via your directory (as you provided), but most of the GIF ones are far too big (1.9 Mb to 2.2 Mb) for my dial-up access to load easily.

Please create optimised versions (like ysart1.gif, which is easily loadable at 150Kb and is also ok for detail) and I wll certainly take a look at them all. It would also be useful to see images of the base of each weight - preferably at a 30-45 degree but straight on might provide the needed detail.

KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 02:27:13 PM »
Two different sized images have been added to the original listing.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 06:14:18 PM »
Ok, here's my view on each, subject to additional information such as the base formation and a longwave & shortwave UV test for each weight:

1. Probably Ysart Brothers but might be Vasart Ltd.
I don't think it was made in the Strathearn years [or even later], but it could be feasible!

2. Most likely Ysart Brothers, but could be Vasart Ltd.
Note that it sadly has two Club canes instead of the four suits! Also, the two identical better quality canes, with the 4+4 surrounding a complex central cane, baffled many of us for a while. But it was shown later that there were, indeed, many canes in work most likely by Salvador Ysart that were of the quality we would normally expect only in Paul's work.

Another interesting point is that the cane at the 10 o'clock outer position, proves the use of that particular complex mould shape which is seen in canes in lots of Vasart Ltd and Strathearn weights. I don't think I have seen that shape cane in Paul's work!

3. Very good Paul Ysart weight.
I guess it's 1930s to 1950s, but a UV check would be needed to confirm.

4. I think I saw this on eBay some time back. Looks like Ysart Brothers to me.
The central four rows of canes are all of better quality and can be matched to others in work believed to be by Salvador Ysart. The mottled Grey ground is known in other weights that certainly check out as Ysart Brothers (or earlier?).

5. As with 2, I think this is Ysart Brothers
I get the feeling from the photo that this one has the canes high up in the dome, which is something I have seen in other Ysart Brothers weights, but not yet in Vasart Ltd.

On the question of weights attributed to Jack Allan, unless there is definite provenance or a JA cane, I am never willing to make the claim (unlike one or two sellers I have had contact with!).

Extra point of interest:
For weight number 1., folk who had seen "that green bowl" at both the time of the Ian Turner Monart sale and at the Perth Conference, may like to note the cane at top of the photo of this weight .... the White over Blue with Yellow central Cross. This weight is one of a couple that I have now seen with this cane, proving (if I am right about the dating) that it was an early cane. But I still think the green bowl was made much later.

KevinH

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 01:20:24 AM »
Thank you.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 01:54:24 AM »
Perhaps it is time to put that green bowl on the site. It will give the cane hunters a 'small' field day. Would you like to do a write up Kevin?

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 03:49:06 PM »
I could put a few words together ... but it will be full of "ifs and maybes". ;D
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 06:34:16 PM »
I would not want it any other way Kevin!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand