No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: buying paperweights on a budget  (Read 2779 times)

Offline cfosterk

• Members
buying paperweights on a budget
« on: October 14, 2006, 03:24:08 PM »
I have really modest means...

Occassionally I have a flash of recklessness and will pay what seems like a ridiculous amount of money for a piece of glass 3x3 in dimensions. My usual budget is only around £50 per piece - but this link gives you some idea of what is still out there!!!

Happy hunting!!!

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l139/cfosterk/

- yes the biggish splurges were the ysart snake, the baccarat mushroom and the manson 1/1 scent bottle (although i defy anyone to say this wasn't great value at £330). But the max price on the rest was probably £120

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 06:38:05 AM »
My budget is not huge either but I have built a very nice collection of modern Scottish weights. I've always liked that fact that Perthshire and Peter McDougall offer a lot for my dollar.

I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 06:41:54 AM »
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline cfosterk

• Members
perthshire and the honourable mcdougall
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 01:03:58 PM »
The level of craftsmanship is superb - such care is taken with even the lowest priced weight.

I love perthshire's stuff - but it's ironic that it (and others) have now to compete against the monolith that is ebay. When a retailed weight of value of £70 goes for £30/£40 on ebay, just how can a modern manufacturer compete??

I say this with regret, but the days of Scotland leading the way in the art of glass manufacture seem numbered. I hope I'm proved wrong...

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: perthshire and the honourable mcdougall
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 05:48:24 PM »
Quote from: "cfosterk"
I say this with regret, but the days of Scotland leading the way in the art of glass manufacture seem numbered. I hope I'm proved wrong...

If it gives up the gift trade and concentrates on the custom/bespoke, collectors and art markets it can still be a leader.

Offline cfosterk

• Members
bespoke manufacture
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 07:29:10 PM »
catch 22 - i agree frank that scotland could stay cutting edge, but without the cheaper end stuff, how will new collectors be attracted to the arts of glass making?

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 08:05:51 PM »
It was the cheaper end stuff that got me in. I still can't afford the more expensive weights generally. Occasionally, I can about once a year get a higher end weight but most of the time it's one of the lower priced ones that I can afford.

When I have a bit to spend on a paperweight I start looking around to see what's out there. If I see an Italian weight and a Scottish for about the same price, I will invariably go for the Scottish weight because it looks so much finer.

For 2006 McDougall made a couple chequer weights. I wanted one but could not manage it. Now he's come out with a general range version. Just as beautiful but it's smaller. I'm getting me one of those.

The thing I appreciate about McDougall is his general range weights don't look 'general rangey' A lot of them employ latticino -something I never saw in a Perthshire GR or complex cane bundles -something else I had not seen before.

Even when the budget was extremely tight, I could still periodically add another eye popping beauty to my collection. When I have more to work with I get a higher end piece.

Before gas prices went up in the states I did get a few LEs. I have pictures of a couple of them in my glass query folder.

My Paperweight Blog

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand