No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Daisy-patterned vase - who?  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
Daisy-patterned vase - who?
« on: October 14, 2006, 07:20:51 PM »
Hi there I have come accross this on ebay  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200035189978

I know it isn't Whitefriars, and I have asked on whitefriars.org but what is it?  First thoughts were Dartington, then scandi.  I'm sure I've seen an attribution somewhere before but can't find it again, always the way LOL.

ever hopeful.
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 09:47:20 PM »
Dartington "daisy" designed by Frank Thrower is most likely but I observed people tend to be a little apologetic when they own one of these.....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 11:37:22 PM »
Unlike Ivo, I quite like these.   I've had several through my hands, and always assumed them to be Dartington because of the smoke colour, that they called Midnight.   They work well as flower vases because of the corners, the colour helps stop algae forming, but you can still see when the water needs topping up, and they look ok when not in use.

There aren't that many glass flower vases so effective.

Bernard C.  8)

ps Did they come in a box with a full colour painting by Kim Thrower on it?   See http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,7744.0.html
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 10:27:36 AM »
Thats not actually the daisy vase which is smaller. We have a collection of the different colour daisy vases because we like them. We also have this particular large one which was a snip for us at £15 last year. This one can fetch up to £50. Some Dartington is worth that bit extra!
No retreat, No surrender.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Quackers

• Members
    • www.plantpref.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 06:00:33 PM »
Thanks for all the comments - did Dartington really make anything that big?  I've seen the collection of Sunflower vases on whitefriars.org but they look much better quality than this.   I have a collection of the normal 15-20cm high daisies so I know it isn't one of them.

I doubt I'll buy it though!
Tim

I started with Carnival glass, then other C20 irridescent, then Whitefriars ducks, then Dartington FT Daisies etc, then Whitefriars Tricorns...when will it end?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand