No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: This is so pretty - rather old, or just bashed about?  (Read 6971 times)

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
far east
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 04:39:50 PM »
Probably. I'm trying to stay out of the China frying pan, or is it wok?

I don't buy them unless they are very unique or notable. Yes, I do have four. One is the famed sailing ship silhouette painted under the glass dome from the 1930s as seen in books on paperweights; two are 1930s miniatures with painted pastoral scenes under the dome; one is an oversize contemporary delight with frolicking lampworked pandas within. I think all four represent Chinese culture and art and commerce and are emblematic of China. That's why I have them.

My current goal is to save some bucks and capture my personal golden ring - a Clichy swirl.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
This is so pretty - rather old, or just bashed about?
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 07:39:29 PM »
I have oodles of Chinese weights from my nickel and dime days. I gradually worked my way up into Italian and American makers. I now collect Scottish glass almost exclusively.

I still keep those old weights around for memories sake.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 08:03:22 PM »
I have a whole cabinet full of mainly Chinese flower weights.  They make a nice bright and cheerful display, and I didn't pay more than £10 for any of them!   :D http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/DaD_Cabinet_sml.jpg
Leni

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 06:31:22 AM »
What a pretty display! Of the Chinese weights, I like the torchwork florals the best. Some of them are very well executed.

I need to get mine off of my windowsills where they tend to get very dusty and into a cabinet. My cabinet is currently bursting at the seams with my 'good' weights.

I'd forgotten until today that I did buy a couple Chinese weights last year. They were on clearance at an import store. There is a nice looking crown in the bunch. I was pretty impressed with the quality. I just buy these things with pocket change and promptly forget when I bought them until my kids start messing with them. They don't hurt them. They just like to pick them up and look at them.

Last week my sister was all gaga over a 1990s chinese millefiori and was less impressed with my Scottish millefiori. I guess bright orange and yellow pleased her eyes more than the delicate perfection of a McDougall.

Chinese crown:

I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 09:17:05 AM »
I do like your crown!  :D  Yes, many Chinese weights are very well executed, and it's one of the reasons I so dislike the dismissive 'it's Chinese' ID.   :x  As I've said before, China is a big place, and someone there is trying very hard and producing some excellent glass working, and I'd like to know more about who / where it's happening.  Sadly, however, it's not currently within their culture to identify individuals in this way  :?
Leni

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 01:55:07 PM »
Glasstrufflehunter,

Just for my interest, could you please show two more photos of the Crown weight ...
a) Side view (full profile) to show how high the crown is set in the weight.
b) Base view. A slighlty angled view well lit by daylight would be great.

Thanks
KevinH

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 07:18:33 PM »
I"m with Leni, the fact that it's made in China should not be some sort of epithet.

I made several attempts to photograph this clearly.

The weight has a 'dimple' at the top. Maybe this was a way to tuck the ends of the canes down. If it were not for the bubbles in the weight, It would have been perfect.

I would love to find one with red canes.  :D

My Paperweight Blog

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
possibly not chinese
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 10:04:56 PM »
How was it determined that the crown is actually China-made? I'm leaning against it. This is the first Chinese crown I've seen, but what really interests me is the base. I have never, ever seen a base that accomplished and finished-off in a weight from China or Taiwan.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 10:36:51 PM »
I have several Chinese weights that are of recent make that have much better bases than the stuff made say, 15 or 20 years ago. The polish on this one is not quite perfect. I do have a large abstract with a perfectly polished base.

The quality of this weight is what made me snap it up. It's the first crown I've seen from China. I've been seeing some really awesome Dahlia weights and weights with other torchworked subjects that are very, very nice.

It is possible it's from Taiwan.

I got it from Pier 1 imports. The bulk of their stuff is from the Pacific Rim.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2006, 12:12:54 AM »
Thanks for the extra images.

If this is a Chinese piece then it definitely proves the point that the work of some makers is improving in leaps and bounds. The work in this example (with perhaps the exception of stray bubbles) is every bit as good as from makers who have been producing Crown weights for many years!
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand