Author Topic: Are these really old?  (Read 1170 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • Josordoni Collectables
Are these really old?
« on: October 17, 2006, 02:48:14 PM »
So in wandering about trying to find some pictures of Bacchus canes to compare with my little button paperweight, I found this listing.

Why does the base on the supposed Bacchus weight remind me of egg fried rice?  Or am I just making assumptions again?

ebay paperweight

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Are these really old?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 03:26:57 PM »
Even with my limited knowledge I'd go for egg fried rice and sweet and sour  :lol:

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Are these really old?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 03:56:33 PM »
Good Day, Lynne. :)  My very first thought when I looked at these two weights was that the cane weight was of Chinese origin (in Murano style?) and the lily weight looks like an older American style.  Now I have to add I just woke up (involuntarily), I'm grumpy, and my eyes are watering so don't take this as absolute.  Hope you're having a good one.

All the best ... Lily

Offline Leni

• Members
Are these really old?
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 05:26:40 PM »
I'd guess the millefiori one was definitely Chinese!  The matt base is a clue, although modern Chinese weights are being finished with a polished base these days.  

The second one?  Your guess is as good as mine!  I reckon everyone and their dog has made a version of these!    :lol:
Leni

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • Josordoni Collectables
Are these really old?
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 06:05:45 PM »
I think the question is as much when were Bacchus weights finished with a matt base.....??

Not that it is a nasty weight, but it does seem as though it is being passed off as something it isn't.

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
Are these really old?
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 01:58:12 AM »
I don't know about the pick work one but the millefiori is definitely Chinese. Matte bases are fairly typical but if I saw those canes in a polished or hollow ground weight I would still say it's Chinese. It's not particularly old either. I have a couple of weights like that.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
clue for two
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 02:42:41 AM »
The millefiori paperweight is China-made in the Italian style. These weights began showing up in the very late 1990s.

The other weight - trumpet petals and unfinished pontil - is United States-made, with a very outside possibility of it being made along the German-Czech border. But, I'd go with North American.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • Josordoni Collectables
Are these really old?
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 07:55:37 AM »
Well, judging by the price they made in the end nobody liked them very much.

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand