No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green Glass Lady from 1930s or 1940s. ID = Walther  (Read 2719 times)

Offline SamC

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Green Glass Lady from 1930s or 1940s. ID = Walther
« on: July 13, 2016, 03:05:49 PM »
Can anyone identify the maker of this glass piece please?
The seated lady has pen holders to the side of her seat and she also lifts out of the tray she is sitting in (see pictures).
Dimensions are 28Wx20Hx23D (cms)
Nan had been told it was a Lalique piece but it isn't. There are no identifying markers anywhere on her.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Green Glass Lady from 1930s or 1940s
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 03:26:09 PM »
Hi

Welcome to the GMB.

Your centrepiece was made by Walther glass of Germany and called Marina.

Roy

Offline SamC

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 03:34:23 PM »
Thank you Roy.

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 03:43:10 PM »
Hi Sam, that's a piece I would like in my collection,  ;D  those holes are meant for flowers. Have a look on the Black Poppy web site and you will see your centrepiece and loads of other lovely stuff too.   not many of your one around. Cheryl

Offline SamC

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 03:59:48 PM »
Thanks Cheryl. Strange seeing it in different colours and interesting to know the holes are for flowers. Nan used it as a pen holder! It came into my possession when Mum died last year. Both Nan and Mum died believing it was Lalique because Nan was told that when she was given it as a gift in the late 1930s.

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 04:23:08 PM »
It was probably new or nearly new when your Nan was given it, she must have liked it to have kept it so long. Hope you like it, not everyone's taste but lots of collectors out there if its not.  ;D   Cheryl

Offline SamC

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 04:38:34 PM »
She got married in 1936 Cheryl. It may well have been a wedding present. Sadly I can't remember what she said now. Whilst it's not worth anything like a Lalique would have been, it's priceless to me as a family heirloom. Thanks for your help.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 06:18:48 PM »
Very nice and indeed a 'keeper', Sam! Have you tried an UV lamp in the dark? It's almost certainly uranium glass.

Two different shapes of Marina were made, yours is Marina figurine and flower holder in one piece in her square shaped bowl 1935  - scroll down to page 19.

Walther made another Marina with separate flower holder in her shamrock bowl 1936    - scroll down to page 8.

Very complex mould with nice details!
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline SamC

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Re: Green Glass Lady from 1930s or 1940s. ID = Walther
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 02:48:47 PM »
Thanks you Pamela. She's definitely the 1935 Marina and she does indeed glow green under a UV light in the dark. I've learned so much about her this last day!

Thank you all for your assistance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand