No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vera Walther & HEINER DÜSTERHAUS  (Read 20652 times)

chris

Vera Walther & HEINER DÜSTERHAUS
« on: April 02, 2004, 06:18:03 PM »
Can someone tell me anything about this glass maker?.I recently acquired a beautiful glass 'sphere',signed by Vera Walther.Does anyone know when this artist was working,when my object was made etc etc

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 08:51:59 PM »
contemporary manufacturer of giftware handmade from Duran tubes is a subsidiary of the Walther glass imperium; unable to find when they started but at a guess I'd say early eighties. Also not sure if it is a brand name only, or if there is/was an actual Vera.  They 're located in Willebadessen, Germany - check the website at http://www.beheng-interieur.de/website/index.htm

Marcus

Vera Walther
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 09:19:31 PM »

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Vera Walther & Heiner Düsterhaus
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 05:30:37 PM »
This paragraph explains Marcus' link

Parallel to my own experiments, my boss in Siebenstern, Mr. Juergen Walther, established the Vera Walther Glass Manufacture¯ with its artistically manufactured products. He encouraged me to market my creations und his name. We were very successful. Vera Walther had good marketing and, Helga, my wife, and I were hardly able to cope with everything.
Heiner Düsterhaus

It's a very interesting site, with the story of Heiner the glass designer who turned to become a craftsman / glass artist. The site shows some very creative and accomplished work among more commercial items. Heiner now seems to be marketing directly to retailers.

The English front page is here:
http://www.beepworld.de/members4/gold/indexengl.htm
Pete

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 06:34:56 PM »
I found a VW piece last Sunday and guess what - it's real glass, not Duran tubes.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 06:56:15 PM »
Ivo, your 'beheng' also links to 'original Walther Glas' who, as I thought so far, are Horst Walther Bad Driburg
Horst Walther 'machte rüber' (sorry for that - this is German history and bad slang) in 1951, right?
Tried to contact Walther Driburg but there is no site on the net, nobody seems to be interested in their roots there  :roll:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 08:09:22 PM »
Quote from: pamela
nobody seems to be interested in their roots there  :roll:

Must be my favourite German word: Vergangenheitsbewaltigung*

* = coping with the past

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 09:14:29 PM »
8)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 09:44:02 PM »
and guess what - it's real glass, not Duran tubes
Maybe he or other glassmakers selling via Vera Walther did you that type of glass at one time.

However one of the interesting things about  HEINER DÜSTERHAUS is that he has experimented with a number of different types of glass as a base working material and yet has settled on
"My basic material is now always "sheet glass - like window panes!" The proper name is "float-glass". "

It would seem from his CV that he would had the skills to blow glass but maybe he initially lacked the facilities. However within these limitations I think he comes up with some very interesting work.
-------------------------

My favorite German word is Weltanschauung
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weltanschauung
Pete

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 10:29:42 AM »
http://tinypic.com/hraa85.jpg

Vera Walther, signed and labelled.
goblet with decoration of flowers and butterflies done in tiny blue air bubbles and enamel.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand