No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with this large Italian fish, please: newer, older?  (Read 2002 times)

Offline adriana

• Members
Help with this large Italian fish, please: newer, older?
« on: October 17, 2006, 10:51:25 PM »
Hello~
I have Pina's Italian Glass, but I don't see this in that book. Can anyone offer any information about this piece? It's pretty big, about 13" wide. It's hollow, it has the aventurine rigaree, and it can either lie down or sit up straight. I am sincerely hoping this is an older piece, and I hope somone can help me with attribution.
Thanks!

http://tinyurl.com/uectb
http://tinyurl.com/wlb2u

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 05:12:03 PM »
I would say this is an older example, but a look for age related wear should confirm this. Could be Salviati from the 1930's or 40's, the size is quite unusual in itself. Nice piece though.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 08:45:20 PM »
These are still being made today. Older examples tend to be fairly lightweight. If it's heavier, it was probably made between the 1950s and today.

Laura

Offline adriana

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 10:03:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Laura, I was hoping you'd see this one.  I don't think it's one of those more delicate Salviati pieces, because it is fairly heavy.  It weighs slightly over four pounds, but it IS quite large!  I sort of doubt it's newer, as in 90s to now.    It really was crummy with layers of dirt, inside and out.   I was hoping that it is a 50s or so piece.  
Thanks again,
Adriana

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
swimmingly
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 02:45:22 AM »
First time I've seen one like this. Very dramatic. The red is incredibly bold and vibrant.

Offline adriana

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 05:45:29 AM »
Oh, yes, it's most definitely a RUBY red!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand