No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sunderland Glass  (Read 1725 times)

Offline PinballPenny

• Members
Sunderland Glass
« on: October 18, 2006, 11:30:18 AM »
Hi.... I am currently compiling a book on English Seagalss, and would love to hear of anyone who has anything made in sunderland from the following colours, Red, Yellow, Orange or Grey, that they would be prepared to send me a photo I could use.  Also anything multi coloured, or a frigger. ANYTHING actually. I would love to talk to anyone who worked in the sunderland glass industry, and would dearly love to see a pitchy dobber. Any help at all would be fabulous. Thank you .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Sunderland Glass
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 12:36:25 PM »
Hi Penny and welcome to the GMB.

I can't offer any help but will look out for anything on this subject during my own research.

The book sounds intriguing - keep us informed :)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline PinballPenny

• Members
Sunderland Glass
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 12:49:27 PM »
Hi.... Thank you!!! Sea Glass is glass that was cast into the sea, and over the years it has been shaped and formed and develops into beautiful gems. It is very popular in america, I want it to be appreciated here too! I am trying to match the different colours we find to their original forms. I also need the book to be interesting, broken glass in the sea can be shipwrecks, dumped ballast for ships, messages in bottles, practically anything! Although most was from glass making plants that castway at the end of each day, straight into the sea. I really would be glad of any help AT all! x Penny

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Sunderland Glass
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 01:02:13 PM »
Fascinating!

I wasn't aware of this type of glass at all but did a quick search on Google and came across many links. Hard to believe there is a collectable source from broken bottles - quite an industry has been spawned from it as well! :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_glass

I also note it can be artifically created (to save me asking the question).

As for the question on Sunderland Glass, I suggest you post a new topic using this as a title. There are many knowledgeable people who should be able to help.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline PinballPenny

• Members
Sunderland Glass
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 01:07:39 PM »
Thanks!!! I have posted this topic as sunderland glass, so fingers crossed!!! x

Sklounion

Sunderland Glass
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 01:44:10 PM »
Hi,
If you are based close to Sunderland, there must be research materials availble in the local archives, and at Ashburne House, Ryhope Road, Sunderland, which houses the University's glass department. You may also find that there have been exhibitions on both the glass and the manufacturers, held at the Reg Vardy Gallery, so ask there or the reference department of the local library.
Regards,
Le Casson

Offline PinballPenny

• Members
Sunderland Glass
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 01:47:23 PM »
Hi.. I have not thought about the university, so thanks for that. I have approched the others though, photos in particular are very hard to come by. I will try Ryhope Road though, thanks x

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
Sunderland Glass
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 06:21:37 PM »
Hi, Penny. I'm afraid I can't help with Sunderland Glass, but your book sounds fascinating.

I love sea glass and have been contemplating making some sea glass jewellery (embedding it in polyester resin, with a sea glass effect to the resin as well).

I had a look at the Wikipedia entry David linked to and it mentioned that there are companies selling man-made sea glass. You don't happen to know of any, do you? I know it's cheating, but living in London means I don't get down to the beach as often as I'd like.
Heidi

Offline PinballPenny

• Members
Sunderland Glass
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 06:25:39 PM »
Hi, if you email me, I can organise you the real thing! I do know one person who tumbles in america, it is generally frowned apon though. x P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand