No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cameo Sulphide paperweight  (Read 3789 times)

Offline dreamticket2

• Members
Cameo Sulphide paperweight
« on: October 18, 2006, 09:39:28 PM »
This is my recent Ebay purchase a Cameo Sulphide pwt

(with a Grenadiers Badge PWT from the same seller.)

Can anyone tell me if this Cameo Sulphide  is Continental or Scottish Please?

(The badge PWT has one side polished flat to stand upright similar to two other badge  PWT  I have)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3710

link edited - use the one below the image (moderator)

Thank you for looking
Jean

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 06:39:04 AM »
See the existing thread in which another example is commented on by Kevin and Alan via this link
here
Additionally,  Sweetbriar have an example for sale at present with the same badge (grenadier) but on a quite different spatter background which Ray has classified as miscellaneous (i.e Belgian) rather than as Ysart.
I have a few and one or two I think are Ysart, one or two I think aren't but really its very difficult to tell. 

Maybe thats something for a future gathering - bring them all together to compare.
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline dreamticket2

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 08:07:43 AM »
Here is the link for the cameo pwt- I hope I have it right this time- thank you for correcting my original link.
 http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3712

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3713

Thank you for looking
Jean

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 08:28:29 AM »
I don't know about any other Ysarts, but when David Hurry came to talk to the Paperweight Collectors Circle at their last meeting, he told us that he was not aware of Paul Ysart making any of this sort of weight in all the time he was working with him.
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 08:53:46 AM »
David worked for him long after that experimental period. There are fairly well documented examples of his 'sulphides' incluing the original trinket he used to make the piece. Not on my site though.

Offline daveweight

• Members
Paul Ysart Military badge paperweights
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 03:02:47 PM »
I have a letter from Colin Terris confirming that Paul told him he made all his paperweights containing military badges and greatcoat buttons at John Moncrieff's in the 1930's and sold them all "out of the back door" This was over 30 years before David Hurrary worked with Paul so it isn't surprising David never saw him make any of these !
Colin said sometimes soldiers would bring badges to Paul and give him a few pennies to put them into paperweights.
Bearing in mind that brass badges and molten glass cool at different rates it is amazing how Paul annealed them without an electronic time controlled system and whilst quite a lot did crack a large amount came out OK.
It is also interesting to note that most of the badges Paul used were from regiments that closed down for example the Royal Flying Corps.
Dave

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 09:38:27 PM »
Can anyone tell me if this Cameo Sulphide is Continental or Scottish Please?
I have never seen any Scottish weights like this one. There are a couple (literally) of sulphide weights known with a hand-and-flowers motif that some folk think may have been made by Salvador Ysart, but I am just keeping an open mind on those.
KevinH

Offline dreamticket2

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 08:17:03 AM »
Quote from: "KevH"
Can anyone tell me if this Cameo Sulphide is Continental or Scottish Please?
I have never seen any Scottish weights like this one. There are a couple (literally) of sulphide weights known with a hand-and-flowers motif that some folk think may have been made by Salvador Ysart, but I am just keeping an open mind on those.

It looks more like  an experimental piece and certainly nowhere near the same execution as the badge weights.
Thank you for looking and for your help KevH
Jean

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand