No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: cranberry and gold bollicine bowl... seguso?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
cranberry and gold bollicine bowl... seguso?
« on: October 18, 2006, 09:53:36 PM »
http://www.schellers.org/ebay_images/murboll1.jpg
http://www.schellers.org/ebay_images/murboll2.jpg

This bowl has at least three layers of controlled bubbles, maybe four. The interior layers are significantly smaller than the layer just inside the thick, clear case. It's quite heavy and has wear to the polished pontil consistant with mid-century Murano pieces. Was Seguso the main producer of pieces in the Bollicine techinique or was it fairly common? If so, who else could be the culprit for this bowl?

Thanks,
Bidda

p.s. inspired by Javier's wonderfully helpful topic http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1254.0.html

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 04:05:28 AM »
Hi Bidda,
I had 1 of these at auction a few days back, in green and yellow sommerso, but no one bid on it. Guess not many people think they are Seguso, but I do. I have a few different shapes in the style.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline bidda

• Members
    • The Glass Cache
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 01:16:09 PM »
Javier,
I think it's really hard to get pictures that show just how cool the layers of bubbles are. In my photos I think the bubbles look kinda random but in person you can see how well controlled they are and the unique effect from the layers. I don't know if a camera exists that's good enough to capture small details throughout 5-8 layers of glass. I'm glad that you think it's Seguso too (my "eye" must be getting a lil better). :) If I find out any more confirmation I'll post it.
I just got a burgandy with gold ashtray in this same technique but it's got a very curious, perfectly drilled hole in the top?!? I suspect it could have been for a metal piece to act as cigarette rest as there are no divots in this ashtray. It's almost the same shape as the Viking "orb" ashtrays. Very cool but the hole is troubling... unless I find out that it was manufactured that way and can track down the missing piece.

Bidda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand