No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anyone recognize this maker?  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
Anyone recognize this maker?
« on: October 21, 2006, 02:41:32 AM »
Today we picked up a light weight (very thin delicate glass) perfume(?) marked "Hand-Made by Zechuchan Jerusalem."  A search of this site and the Internet did not turn up anything under that name.   Can anyone tell us anything more about the maker - is Zechuchan a company, an artist, an Israeli,  a Palestinian... any information would be helpful.

Thanks
Paul ADK

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 03:45:07 PM »
check archives here for al mahd and jerusalem it should turn up a nice photograph...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 04:23:18 PM »
Ivo:

No question, your photo of the vase shows an object with the same general characteristics/colors as our perfume.  I'm still not sure how the perfume relates to Reuven Rubin or who/what Zechuchan is.  Is it just that our piece is decorated in the style of Rubin, a knockoff so to speak?

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 10:00:16 PM »
Hi, Ivo. I just checked out your old posting about the Al-Mahd piece. There is quite a lot of Roman-style/ inspired glass and pottery produced in the Middle East, much (but by no means all) intended for the tourist trade. I'm afraid, though, that the fact that the label says Jerusalem and not Israel doesn't have any bearing on the age of the piece. Al-Mahd is a Palestinian name and a Palestinian producer is unlikely to recognise Jerusalem as being part of Israel (indeed, this is the formal position of the British government), may not in fact even want to recognise the existence of the state of Israel. So it could have been produced at any time up to the present.
Heidi

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 10:02:24 PM »
PS - Zechuchan sounds to me like an Armenian name - there is a long-established Armenian community in Jerusalem with a tradition of craftsmanship. I have some beautiful pottery produced by an Armenian studio just outside the Old City.
Heidi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand