No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Swedish Manufacture  (Read 3511 times)

Offline butchiedog

• Members
Swedish Manufacture
« on: October 19, 2006, 02:26:03 PM »
Hello,

Would anyone know which glass maker used a paper label with nothing but "Swedish Manufacture" on it.

Here is a completed ebay auction for the items in question.

x

I am told they may be listed again and being interested in them I would like to try and track down the maker if it's possible.

Thank you for any information.

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Swedish Manufacture
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 03:12:58 PM »
I'm probably very wrong, but they look like they might be a Ronald Stennet-Willson design.

Some of his designs were produced in Sweden (I think) for J. Wuidart.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Sklounion

Swedish Manufacture
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 05:05:08 PM »
Nic,
Sweden was right, and these do look similar to a range featured in a Wuidart ad from 1955-6, but it is difficult to tell whether there are rings on the knops, of the set on eBay. Main two candidates if Wuidart, are Kosta and Orrefors.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Swedish Manufacture
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 05:49:40 PM »
*phew*

Good to know I'm not talking out of my hat. Not all the time, anyway.  :lol:

Offline butchiedog

• Members
Swedish Manufacture
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 06:15:30 PM »
Thank you for the leads, that is much more than I had hoped for.  Mike

Offline JC

• Members
Swedish Manufacture
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 12:45:23 AM »
Thanks Mike for asking about these for me and thank you for the answers.I am sure that information will be very helpful when I relist them again
I know this isn't really all important, but just out of curiousity sake I decided to put them under a black light and found they glowed a bright pink. I wonder what ever is the ingrediaent or the combination of ingredients that would produce this. I do relaise this is probably an answert that can't be answered. I know a lot of different things come into play.This reacts to that differnetly and when X is added it then reacts to Y  etc. But it still doesn't stop me from wondering :lol:
http://au.geocities.com/jettique/pink_glowee_04.jpg
Julie.

Offline butchiedog

• Members
Swedish Manufacture
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 01:48:25 PM »
Hi Julie,

I really like those myself, so the information I can gather is for me too :-)

Curious;  When I look at your photo of one setting near your black light; the glass doesn't appear to be giving off any sort of glowing effect, but is simply reflecting back the light from the UV lamp. Maybe it's just the photo, I know how hard it is to take pictures of things like this, but I would expect the item to look as if it is glowing from the inside out the same way the uranium colored glass does. With that type of glass the bottom, as well as the stem of the object would be producing a glow as bright as the top portion.

Could just be my monitor too or the glow you are seeing in person isn't registering well with your camera's lens???

Mike

Offline JC

• Members
Swedish Manufacture
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 12:55:22 AM »
HI Mike, as you know I must be the worlds worst at photography  :oops:
The pic does make it look like all it is doing is picking up the colour from the UV light.But they do really give of a glow. I had them glowing by just sitting outside of my cabinet, that I have rigged up with a blacklight,  to show it all off  my green glass glowing.
My camera, or maybe its the user, just can't get good pics of glowing items , not even vaseline glass that glows like crazy.I have read and read all the tips and tried every method suggested and I am never happy with the results.
I am resigned to the fact that I am not a photographer and can't acheive all that fancy stuff others can. I now  just set up on my front verndah and take my pics there, in filtered natural light.Cross my fingers, hold my breath and hope for the best  :lol:
Julie

Offline Sue C

• Members
Swedish Manufacture
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 11:16:44 AM »
hi all , could they be ekanas? they look like grapefruit glasses to me, as i have some that were my nans, still use them.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Swedish Manufacture
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 11:39:58 AM »
Quote from: "JC"
HI Mike, as you know I must be the worlds worst at photography  :oops:
The pic does make it look like all it is doing is picking up the colour from the UV light.But they do really give of a glow. I had them glowing by just sitting outside of my cabinet, that I have rigged up with a blacklight,  to show it all off  my green glass glowing.
My camera, or maybe its the user, just can't get good pics of glowing items , not even vaseline glass that glows like crazy.I have read and read all the tips and tried every method suggested and I am never happy with the results.
I am resigned to the fact that I am not a photographer and can't acheive all that fancy stuff others can. I now  just set up on my front verndah and take my pics there, in filtered natural light.Cross my fingers, hold my breath and hope for the best  :lol:
Julie

Hi Julie, I'm glad it isn't me.  Last black light pics I took, I got up at 2 am to make sure it was REALLY dark, and they still didn't come out very well.

ho hum.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand