No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Definitely Wedgwood but is it a RSW?  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Definitely Wedgwood but is it a RSW?
« on: October 19, 2006, 09:55:17 PM »
Good evening :-)  OK this is a nice thick and chunky blue cased in clear glass bowl by Wedgwood.  It's not marked but I've seen one identical (except it was an ashtray and had the cigarette rests) with an etched Wedgwood mark to the base.  It has an interesting square and triangle impressed pattern to the base (shown clearer in the second picture) and the glass is exactly the same colour as some Ronald Stennett-Willson Sheringham candleholders I've got - so does anyone know if RSW designed this bowl?  Or any info at all would be appreciated - ta :-)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/wedge10001.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/wedge20001.jpg

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 07:49:27 PM »
Hi,

This is a Stennett-Willson design produced from 1967 at Kings Lynn and from  a range of three textured designs by him; the other two being vases. I believe that the design number is RSW 27 (the other two being RSW 25 and 26). You are right, it was continued after the take over by Wedgwood, hence the one you saw previously with the etched mark.

Nigel

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 08:03:10 PM »
Nigel, is this the case as well with the RSW paperweights with the three layers with bubbles inbetween - I have two with no marks I have assumed to be Kings Lynn, and one etched Wedgwood one?

thanks
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 08:29:48 PM »
Lynne,

Whilst I am almost certain I know the paperweight you are referring to, it would be helpful to have a picture to confirm. Thanks.

Nigel

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 08:40:23 PM »
okey dokey - will be in the morning now, so hope that is ok.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 09:42:03 PM »
Quote from: "nigel benson"
Hi,

This is a Stennett-Willson design produced from 1967 at Kings Lynn and from  a range of three textured designs by him; the other two being vases. I believe that the design number is RSW 27 (the other two being RSW 25 and 26). You are right, it was continued after the take over by Wedgwood, hence the one you saw previously with the etched mark.

Nigel

Nigel, thank you so much for the information - I can't tell you how pleased I am that my hunches are occasionally correct :-)  Much appreciated...

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 10:08:39 PM »
Quote from: "josordoni"
Nigel, is this the case as well with the RSW paperweights with the three layers with bubbles inbetween - I have two with no marks I have assumed to be Kings Lynn, and one etched Wedgwood one?

thanks

Lynne, I know the paperweights you're referring to - the bullet shaped ones.  I once had one (now long since sold) that had an old paper Wedgwood label on it but it was not etched with Wedgwood - the base was just plain polished flat.  My paperweight was the one with the solid greeny/turquoise coloured bubbles in it (with smaller clear rings/squashed bubbles in between the coloured bubbles).

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 07:24:15 AM »
yes, those are the ones Pip. I think they are RSW aren't they?  But did he do them at Kings Lynn as well as Wedgwood?

And how (assuming the labels are all washed off them all) do we tell the difference?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 09:05:47 AM »
Quote from: "josordoni"
yes, those are the ones Pip. I think they are RSW aren't they?  But did he do them at Kings Lynn as well as Wedgwood?

And how (assuming the labels are all washed off them all) do we tell the difference?

Yes Lynne they're definitely by RSW - I haven't a clue about telling the difference between the Kings Lynn and Wedgwood output though unfortunately.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 02:02:56 PM »
Hi Lynne and Pip,

Once the labels have gone there is no way of discerning the difference between King's Lynn and Wedgwood production (that I am aware of), since it was the same workforce producing the the items.

I am having to assume from both your descriptions that we are talking about pattern number RSW 11, which was made under both names and appears in consecutive King's Lynn and Wedgwood catalogues. See also Tobin Figs 5 & 6, and Appendix 1 page 87 - "Domed Paperweight RSW 11/1, etc....". Susan Tobin also refers to them as Galaxy paperweights in the captions to the figures.

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand