No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Modern cheapo vases  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
Modern cheapo vases
« on: October 20, 2006, 10:30:27 AM »
Can anyone suggest who makes these?

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3736
link2

They're nothing to write home about - just a few pieces of safety glass glued together - but they are finished quite carefully.

Going by the seller of the second vase, my guess would probably be India.

I'm just curious.  I remember seeing something similar (but rather older!) in an Art Deco exhibition a few years ago - at the V&A, or in Basel perhaps?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline butchiedog

• Members
Modern cheapo vases
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 02:09:22 PM »
Hi,

I don't know who made those vases, but around here we have a few (open to the general public) glass arts-crafts businesses who teach glass slumping, fusing, paperweight making, lamp work and glass laminating. You pay a fee up front for whichever project you choose to do from their list of classes and you pay for your materials etc., when you come in to pick up the finished item.

Anyway;  these places have classes for making the same exact type of vases.

I haven't made one of those vases myself, but I did slump this really ugly dish as an experiment to see what effect it would have on the iridescent finish of the glass I used for the project.

http://i11.tinypic.com/2lj2pgo.jpg

The only thing I liked was what the process of slumping this type of glass did to the originally smooth iridescent finish.

http://i11.tinypic.com/2w7il3n.jpg

The piece is now cut up and being made into jewelry items by a friend who is into that craft.

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Modern cheapo vases
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 02:22:10 PM »
I don't think that dish is ugly, I rather like it!
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
Modern cheapo vases
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 04:25:53 PM »
Thanks, Mike.
Do you know how they're made?  Are the pieces of glass fused together?  I was assuming that they're stuck with adhesive.

Offline butchiedog

• Members
Modern cheapo vases
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 05:27:30 PM »
Hi Chris,

The vases are made from pieces of flat glass. Some are just plain old window\plate glass and some are the types of colored glass one might purchase from a craft\stained glass window supply store. The vase parts are pre-fab, cut to shape with the edges ground smooth. The curvy parts are slumped into shape. They have templates for the vases or you can be original and create your own vase design or some sort of sculpture or whatever and for those you are charged by the piece. They use some type of quick-set clear drying glue\adhesive to put them together.

Josordoni,

If you like that sort of thing maybe you might be interested in slumping glass as a hobby or make things to sell. ebay is loaded with auctions selling supplies, especially the slump molds which come in many shapes and sizes. Of course you will need a kiln or know someone who has one they will let you use. The energy cost to fire up the kiln can be expensive, so you need to squeeze as many projects as possible into it at one time rather than just do one project at a time. Also;  the kiln process is time consuming, up to 40 or more hours in some cases, depending on the type of glass you use, how thick and how much. The glass has to be heated up slowly and then it also has to be cooled just as slowly.  I wouldn't mind having such a hobby if I could afford it and was sure I could sell the items I made for enough profit to support the hobby.

The piece I made is okay I guess, yet I'm more interested in experimenting than I am in making dishes, vases  etc., but I'm stuck using the molds they have on hand which are for those items. I would like to design and make my own molds, but that's yet another expensive, time consuming thing I want, but can't have lol! You can even slump already made pattern glass plates, made by dishware manufacturers. The glass only softens enough to slump\sag down and take on the shape of the mold, but the pressed in pattern is barely effected.

Life just isn't long enough to do or try everything I'm interested in ;-( Mike

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Modern cheapo vases
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 01:27:36 AM »
Chris, vases in this style are sold in Au Naturale, which is where mine came from, and various other gift shops. They're not expensive - a couple of pounds each normally. They seem to be stuck together with the sort of adhesive used for fish tanks. I seem to remember mine had a Made in China sticker on it.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand