No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with ID - Moser?  (Read 4094 times)

Offline beherenow

• Members
Help with ID - Moser?
« on: October 21, 2006, 02:06:11 AM »
Sorry, must take my pictures down now.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Help with ID - Moser?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 08:00:13 PM »
Gosh and my Godness, I do not recall having seen such a beauty of presumingly vaseline so far!  :shock:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline beherenow

• Members
Help with ID - Moser?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 08:14:13 PM »
No, I don't think it's vaseline. It does not glow under black light, but the color is very similar under normal lighting conditions.

Offline beherenow

• Members
Help with ID - Moser?
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 11:11:25 PM »
Wow, 85 lookers, of which at least one (lol) was not me... and no opinions? Oh well... BUMP.

Offline beherenow

• Members
Help with ID - Moser?
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 11:23:46 PM »
If html is enabled, why can't I post pictures? Seems like kind of heavy handed moderating... not very moderate at all!

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Help with ID - Moser?
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 12:01:37 AM »
Hi Beherenow,

From the Guidelines for Posting Messages within the Board Policy (Sticky thread at top of each forum):
If you post an image please keep it small, for large images it is best to put in an URL link to your image.
Although not specifically stated in the Posting guidelines "large" usually means images that are greater than about 50Kb (or some figure such as that) or which are greater than about 500 pixels max dimension.

The problem with large KB size images is that each one accessed uses up the bandwidth for the Board, and I understand that it actually uses 2x the size for some technical reason. So, with several images at over 100Kb in one message (and other possible cases in other messages) it starts to run up the figures somewhat. Hence a URL link is preferred as this minimises the bandwith usage and keeps the Board ticking over smoothly.

The difficulty with large images in terms of pixel size is that these can a) cause the message window to grow scroll bars, which is a bit of a nuisance for many folk and b) can even cause major display and system problems for some viewers who do not have high resolution monitors.

So, the moderators will often change embedded images to URLs to keep things running without problem.
KevinH

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Help with ID - Moser?
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 01:04:00 AM »
Quote from: "beherenow"
If html is enabled

HTML is not enabled on the board for security reasons, what you actually use is a php script called BB code which does the same job as certain HTML tags.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline beherenow

• Members
Help with ID - Moser?
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 03:52:18 AM »
Hi Kevin.

Hi Anne, Yes, I know. I tired html and it didn't work, so I used BB... but thanks for the clarification.

Now that I've been edited, informed, and corrected... do any of you have any knowledge about my glass? This is a glass board, no? Am I in the wrong place?

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Help with ID - Moser?
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 11:51:36 AM »
For some of the more unusual items, it can take some time (and sometimes many months) before a positive Id is found. For really obscure pieces, queries from years back have still not been resolved.

Although there are many knowledgeable folk using the GMB, not everyone looks in constantly and we certainly do not have all the world's experts looking in! Also, there is never any guarantee that anyone else will have seen a particular piece or its design elements or decorative features.

Most folk refrain from simple comments like "Sorry, I don't know", so it can often seem that hardly anybody has even considered a request. For myself, the only thing I could say about this piece is that the decoration looks like 19th century Bohemian ... but that probably does not add anything to the Id as "Moser" has already been considered.
KevinH

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Help with ID - Moser?
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 05:01:14 PM »
Quote from: "beherenow"
Hi Kevin.
Now that I've been edited, informed, and corrected... do any of you have any knowledge about my glass? This is a glass board, no? Am I in the wrong place?

Hello beherenow, welcome to the GMB.  This is in no way meant as a criticism but please bear in mind that not only are many members of this board extremely busy people, many are also leading researchers and authorities in their field - they give advice on this board totally free of charge and without strings - a slight change in tone and attitude would, in my opinion, be far more likely to result in your glass being identified.  Secondly, the moderators on this board do a fantastic job.  Lastly, I'm afraid I can't help ID your glass - it's not something that I've come across before but it's a very beautiful object.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand