No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Figural fish novelty thermometer - 1970s?  (Read 1791 times)

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Figural fish novelty thermometer - 1970s?
« on: October 20, 2006, 08:53:04 AM »
Another wacky figural thermometer, from my local op shop! :D
It was only 50 cents, how could I resist? Looks like I'm beginning an (unintended) collection of novelty figural thermometers....... :roll:
It is 12cm high, good quality clear glass with inbedded swirls of orange & yellow. The base is polished smooth. No markings,except on the dial-type thermometer itself, which says "Atmos", presumably the brand of thermometer.
It does look kind of 1970s to me, & possibly of European origin due to the Celsius thermometer, which is in perfect working order.
It has a certain kind of funky, quirky, retro charm to it, I think...& looks a treat next to the other novelty figural thermometer I posted a while back (Czech, by ZBS).
Any ideas on age,country of origin & maker would be appreciated! :)
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 08:43:16 AM »
BUMP!!!
Doesn't anyone recognise my little fishy friend? :(
I've done heaps of searching on the brand name of the thermometer itself, "Atmos", & have come up with a type of expensive Swiss clock, & also a Czech manufacturer of industrial thermometers & gauges for boilers & the like.
Also searched Ebay for novelty thermometers, but found none like mine.
Please take another look, & all comments are welcome! :)
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 09:29:11 AM »
Did see the thread first time round Marinka, but my comment would have been confined to "Ooh, what a nice fishy", so I didn't bother! :lol:

Seriously: it does look Chinese to my uneducated eye and I suppose the metalwork might give a clue to age — Atmos is a tradename of the company 'Skywatch' it appears.

BTW, I always wondered where your name derived from (at the risk of getting cafe'd)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 10:01:42 AM »
TM's on last 14 years in UK, varies in other countries and we have seen the www phenomenon of TM sitting since the 90's which confuses the on-line records.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 11:21:10 AM »
Thanks for your opinions, David & Frank, :)
I did think that it could be possible that fish & thermometer were made in different places...& I have found even more companies using the name "Atmos"!
Will keep searching. I'd just love to i.d this little dude! As I'm not really an expert on items like this, it sort of spurs me on even more to learn about it.
I'm not a 70's authority by any means, but to me it does have a 70's "look" to it. Even the typeface used on the dial (sorry it's not visible in this pic) has a funky 70's look to it.
As for my name, David, it's of Slovenian origin. I was named after one of my dad's cousins. Thanks for your interest! :)
Marinka.
More glass than class!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand