No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Intermezzo  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Caithness Intermezzo
« on: October 23, 2006, 11:27:49 PM »
I think I got the name correct :? and would like to learn more, including current estimated value.

Thanks .... Lily    :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Caithness Intermezzo
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 01:41:21 AM »
From A Charlton Standard Catalogue Caithness Paperweights, 2nd Edition, published 2004 ...

Intermezzo (design number CT-947), designed by Colin Terrs, issued 1993 as limited edition of 750, closed at No. 411, original issue price (UK) £50.00, stated value (as at 2004) £50.00.

Note for all readers ...
When people quote values from the Charlton catalogue they are, as highlighted above, now two years out of date. Since then the actual market (or insurance) value may have risen or fallen - or simply remained static as suggested in the book for for this weight from 1993 to 2004! It is always wise, if using this type of info, to quote the Catalogue name and its date of publication.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
2nd edition
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 12:32:47 PM »
It's been written before on the GMB that the first edition Charlton Caithness paperweight book has a number of errors of fact, typos, and omissions. It also has been stated that the black and white photographs are not of the highest quality.

Would anyone who knows, please comment on the 2nd edition regarding problems - facts, typos, omissions, photos, etc. Were new color photographs added? I think I recall Frank already commenting by posting a sentence that went something like "found a bunch of errors, already." This, of course, doesn't bode well.

I'm interested in buying the 2nd edition. Should I? How far does it take the output of paperweights at Caithness. Thanks so much.

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Caithness Intermezzo
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 12:59:46 AM »
Thank you, KevH, for your post.  This particular weight has been around in my area for a while and I'm hoping the seller may wish to adjust the price a bit.  It currently sits at twice the value estimated (as of 2004)!  While the weight doesn't take my breath away, it is an LE by a very highly-esteemed designer.  I'll think on it a bit and perhaps make an offer; if it's meant to be, it will happen.

All the best .... Lily

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: 2nd edition
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 08:51:58 AM »
Quote from: "wrightoutlook"
I'm interested in buying the 2nd edition. Should I? How far does it take the output of paperweights at Caithness. Thanks so much.

To part of 2004's output. Do buy it sales are slow.

All errors I come across are being noted as I go, if you search on Charlton you will find them. There are some points that may not be errors and further research is needed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand