No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: STK?  (Read 5266 times)

Offline MILLY

• Members
STK?
« on: October 27, 2006, 05:17:52 PM »
I have a paperweight with the initials STK in the middle. Can anyone tell me please who made this paperweight? Thank you.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
STK?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 05:19:54 PM »
Please post a picture!    :shock:  Instructions in the 'sticky' at the top of the forum   :D
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline MILLY

• Members
STK?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 05:21:56 PM »
Sorry I don't have it in my possession to post a picture...just wondered if anyone could help. thanks :)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
STK?
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 05:26:59 PM »
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline daveweight

• Members
StK Paperweights
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 05:31:11 PM »
The DeCora Import Company, then based in New York, were the main imports of Whitefriars paperweights to the USA. Whitefriars closed in 1980 and it took a few years for stock to be used up and the demand to get back to the comany for a new weight to replace Whitefriars so DeCora approached John Deacons to make a paperweight exclusively for them. John agreed and wondered what to call this new weight, he happened to glance at a map of Scotland and noticed the small island of St Kilda in the Hebrides so he called this new brand St Kilda and introduced the Stk cane.These paperweights were made at the same time, by the same people, in the J Glass factory opposite John's home in Crieff. Both lampwork and millefiori designs were produced
Slightly rarer are the StA, St Andrews weghts John made - but that's another story !
Hope this helps
Dave

Offline daveweight

• Members
StK Paperweights
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 05:36:59 PM »
Sorry Milly - I should have made it clearer I was talking about John Deacons as the maker of these weights and on re-checking my records it appears St Kilda weights were in fact made from 1981 to 1984
Dave

Offline MILLY

• Members
STK?
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 05:37:55 PM »
Ta Muchly...very interesting and greatly appreciated...great forum too. Thanks! :D

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
moving around
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 08:52:01 PM »
JD, the STK chap, has had many incarnations as a paperweight maker.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand