No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ribbed Tricorn bowl with concentric circles to base.  (Read 2068 times)

Offline kath

• Members
Ribbed Tricorn bowl with concentric circles to base.
« on: October 25, 2006, 12:03:45 PM »
Hi I've got a tricorn shaped bowl this time, its ribbed and has a concentric circles to its base. When I got it it was pretty dirty inside and seems to have a dull film on the base. Not sure what this means, probably that its not a high quality piece, but I don't know. Any help with an ID or a date would be great, I've not seen a base like this before. Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 04:08:25 PM »
Kath - A pressed, round bowl reheated and reshaped after pressing.  The basic pattern is very like Sowerbys 2652, made just after WW2.  That was a quick mould-making job, entirely on a lathe with little or no hand work required, getting over the shortage of skilled mould cutters.

I'm not saying yours is certainly by Sowerby but it is possible that the mould was resurrected after 1956 when I left.  

I don't understand your reference to the condition of the base.

Adam D.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kath

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 04:44:51 PM »
Hi Adam

Thanks that really interesting and I'll do a bit of searching to see if I can find anything else similar.
Base was probably not the right word, I meant the bottom on the inside. I don't have it hand just now but it seemed to be a slightly whiter colour and felt different, not as smooth from memory. It's like a film has been left on it, or if it were possible (doubt it) that the bottom has been scratched all over and left dulled. It would take a heck of a lot of scratching and its not irregular so it couldn't be that but thought that might give you an idea.
I'll try to find it and take another look at it. Might have another go cleaning it too.
If I can't remove it I post a pic so you can see it.
Hope that makes sense.
thanks again for the info
Kathryn

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 08:02:31 AM »
They look similar to design and colour to these Holmegaard items.
http://www.postludiet.dk/GLAS%20KORPUS.html

Perhaps the Holmegaard one's have a pontil and signature, I don't know.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 11:37:35 AM »
The white film sounds like limescale, which may be removable or water damage (the glass becomes chemically changed), which is not removable

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 11:54:31 AM »
Have a look here, we talked about cleaning limescale from glass

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,7724.0.html

if this doesn't work then it is probably water damage, but I'd put my money on limescale.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 06:18:01 PM »
I remember seeing something similar to this someware on this board, It was completely round and ruby red though. I think it had a Davidsons sticker on it. I also remember on the same post that there was a similar bowl attributed to..., I've forgotten... But it wasn't from England. I will have another dig.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline kath

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 09:06:26 PM »
Hi All
Thanks for all the input sorry I've not been here earlier, I've not been getting any email notifications for some reason, anyway..
I'll read up on that thread about the limescale/water damage. It could be either of those I guess, hopefully just limescale, it does have that kind of feel to it so fingers crossed.
 Tigerchips - I did look into those Jacob E Bang ones earlier today, they certainly seem to have a similar look, I did even find some of the same colour as well searching images but not this shape. Haven't managed to get  a clear look at a base yet either.
I'll check out a possible Davidson conection as well. Thanks. Kathryn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand