No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed glass plate = AVON Lead Crystal FOSTORIA  (Read 4902 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Pressed glass plate = AVON Lead Crystal FOSTORIA
« on: October 23, 2006, 12:53:41 PM »
Hi,

This plate measures 20cm across and is quite heavy. Its not a flat plate, but with the edge raised around it. The makers mark is in the middle with the numbers 1978 which Im taking for the date.

I went through the glass marks I had and cant find who it is or what the plate was dated for. Any help appreciated.

plate
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3805

mark
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3804

Selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 10:37:31 PM »
Hi again, Had to bump this up because its driving me nuts !! Sorry to be a pain all but Ive looked at so many websites and ebay items and relooked through the glass marks a few times in case Ive missed it. Hoping that at least one person knows this mark !! Or I'll have to break it in frustration :)

Selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Connie

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 12:01:50 AM »
The mark looks like a variation of the Sevres porcelain mark.  Could it be Sevres glass?

Sorry I can't help more than that.  I didn't even know there was Sevres glass until Ivo metnioned it several months ago  :oops:

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 06:44:21 AM »
Connie, I could see where you were coming from with the Sevres mark as it looked very similar !

and....
Found it and its actually...
an AVON Lead Crystal FOSTORIA plate...The symbol is the A for Avon and it was for the 92nd Avon anniversary in 1978 and was earned by Avon representatives. Just in case anyone else comes across one, they will know what it is now..
 But thanks very much Connie for having an attempt and replying to my post  :D Much appreciated.

Selina
Trudy

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 05:58:12 PM »
Hi,
Hate to admit it, but my dear mother sold that Avon muck lol! for a number of years and has every one of those 1970s award plates, meaning 1978 wasn't the only year they were awarded.  Yours being marked 1972 was awarded that year. --- Mike

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 10:47:20 PM »
Hey Mike,

Thats right ! There were actually two full sets of them. Each with different symbols in the middle. One was called the Presidents Set  and the other for District Managers. See here....

xx

Ive never been into Avon myself but I guess its a big part of a lot of people's histories and a lot of it is collectable...though probably not this plate  :)
Selina
Trudy

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 02:25:46 PM »
Yes;  there were actually 3 sets made.

A set for District Managers,  a set for the President's Club and a set for the everyday Avon seller who reached a certain goal. Each had their own emblem in the centers and a plate with the same center emblem, for each level in the company, but with a new date was made each year throughout the 1970s.

The one asked about here was done for the everyday Avon seller like my Mom. I don't know if any of this stuff is collectable in a big way or not or if it only has meaning to the folks who were awarded them or didn't make their sales goals, but want to pretend they did.

Note:  Avon bottles etc., were once very hyped as being highly collectable and worth money, but ever since ebay, which shows just how common all of this stuff really is;   the bottom of the Avon collecting market seems to dropped out. Fostoria on the other hand is a popular name in collectable glass, but mainly for their own lines, not for items they made for others. I guess it's like Fenton Glass, where even though they did and still do make a lot of glass for others, who sell it under their own name; Fenton collectors, who are aware of this tend to shy away from that other glass, even though Fenton made it and the quality is the same.  --- Mike

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 02:59:56 PM »
Avon - Still highly collectable, but nice and cheap :-) http://www.robinsfyi.com/fun/hobbies/avon/avoncollecting.htm

Did Fenton make the Avon bottles, or some of them?

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 03:47:35 PM »
Hello Frank,

Yep;  Avon and Beanie Babies are still collected and the prices are nice and low for those collectors right now.

I have been told by a number of folks who are heavily into Fenton Glass that Fenton never made Avon bottles or anything that was sold with a scent or some kind of grease in it.  Fenton did make some art glass items exclusively for Avon and they were sold the same way Fenton sells their own product, as what it is, be it a vase or a nick-nack item. Avon offers a good bit of non-cosmetic related merchandise in their catalogs, usually way over priced for what is though, but folks who like Avon also like to impulse shop, so the company takes full advantage of that. --- Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand