No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandi Girls & Stars - Odd Signature  (Read 1549 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Scandi Girls & Stars - Odd Signature
« on: October 28, 2006, 03:11:26 AM »
I'm hoping someone can help me decipher the signature on this nice 1940s/1950s Orrefors-looking vase.  This will sound like gibberish, but the letters seem to make out the name "Siddaualu" or "Siddacalu."  I'm sure I'm way off, but hopefully someone out there knows.  The numbers, for what it's worth, appear to be 489-295.
Thanks,
Charles.

http://i13.tinypic.com/2wpkl01.jpg
http://i14.tinypic.com/2upz5tu.jpg
edit: images converted to links

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tiger

• Members
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 02:31:03 PM »
Hi Charles

I think you will find the signature is that of KJELLANDER, This is a vase made around the late sixties by the Kjellander company in Sweden.
The Kjellander company was formed in Sweden in the 18th Century, mainly dealing with engraving glass.
The Orrefors legendary engraver Gustaf Abels, learned his craft from Lars Kjellander, who's work was intricate and technically precise. He used diamond point engraving upon copper wheel engravings to give added detail to the design images on their finished pieces.

These pieces have sored in value over the last few years and according to lastest figures your vase could realise around $200-$400 in the market place.
Hope this helps you out!

Tiger

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 08:11:46 PM »
Thank you SO much.  What horrendous penmanship!  I would have never guessed.  Also comes as a surprise that this would be 1960s vintage.  Sylistically, it's a dead ringer for late 1940s/early 1950s, but I suppose if works (or rather, sells), don't fix it.  Obviously a good find, but it's far too nice to sell.  Looks great in the living room.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tiger

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 11:02:28 AM »
The Kjellander styles and designs have been rehashed many times over by who ever was running the factory. With the caparative minamal wear to the base and the clarity on the glass used on your piece I'm sure the vase you have, has to be a sixties re-design, I recently bought another piece of Kjellander off eBay for the exorbitant price of £9. This piece is pre-1925, it shows in the forefront a young woman, standing on a rock at the edge of the sea shore handkerchief in hand waving off a three masted sailing ship, sailing away in the distance. This was a well documented design and was first used just prior to 1920. I do like your vase and if you decide to part with it keep me in mind. I collect mostly Scandinavian, but mainly items by Orrefors and by certain designers. But nothing after 1970. All the best to you. Den

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand