No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early American Pattern Glass  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
Early American Pattern Glass
« on: October 29, 2006, 07:15:55 AM »
Hi Guys
I have two nice pieces of EAPG which I cannot ID, are there any EAPG collectors out there who can maybe help, here are links to photos

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3899

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3898

Many thanks for any help. Tony H in NZ.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 01:25:17 PM »
Hi Tony

This looks to be identical to the water pitcher on p. 180 of the 2003 Edwards and Carlisle Standard Encyclopaedia of Pressed Glass, which they call Lancaster "North Star" but is also known as "Stippled Fans". However, that comes with a caveat: I can't quite see the pattern as well as I'd like in either your or C&E's photos,  this book is known for having a number of errata (although several have been corrected in this edition)., and the line drawing of the "Stippled Fans" pattern in McCain's Field Guide to Pattern Glass has little ovals over the fan.

EAPG patterns make my eyes water! In any case, that's a start, and now you need an EAPG expert to confirm or deny it.

All the best
Cathy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tony H

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 06:22:53 PM »
Cathy
Many thanks for your reply, sorry for poor photos I took them at the auction House a few days before the auction, my wife and I went to the auction on Sunday and I got the two pieces for a good price.

I have Mollies book on pattern glass, I have looked at those line drawings till I am crosseyed and could not find a match. Edwards book is full of mistakes, but you have given me a starting point so I will try again.

You give the referance of McCain as Field Guide to Pattern Glass. My Book is the Collctors Encyclopedia of Pattern Glass 1982 with values for 1998, is your book later or before.

Tony H in NZ

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 09:43:14 PM »
Don't worry about the photographs: clear glass is awful to photograph at the best of times.

My first ref was the Standard Encyclopedia of Pressed Glass (not Pattern Glass), 2003. The McCain is 2000, and the main point of difference in the line drawing of "Stippled Fans" is what looks like a row of thumbprints over the fans.

The photograph in the Standard Encylopedia not only seems to have the same pattern, but the same handle, shape, rim, etc. But I couldn't guarantee either that the jug photographed is the same as yours, or that the they've got the identification correct.

I'm hoping someone better versed in EAPG patterns can come along and sort out the mess!

Offline Tony H

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 11:01:24 PM »
Hi Cathy

I will see if I can get a more up to date copy of McCain, my glass does have oval or thumb prints over the fan. Many thanks for your help.

How is your research into Crown Crystal, I see pieces with a lable at fairs at odd times.

Best wishes Tony H in NZ

Connie

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 01:06:09 PM »
I will look for these 2 patterns later today.  

I was gone a week and am trying to wade through all the posts made while I was gone  :shock:

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 01:10:31 PM »
Thanks, Connie! Good to see you back.
Cathy.

Connie

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 01:59:25 AM »
I am sorry but I can't add any info on these pieces.  I looked in my books and I agree with Cathy that the pitcher looks like the one pictured in Edwards and Carwile and identified as North Star.  The problem with that id is it is a name given to it by Edwards  :roll: I have not found the same pattern in McCain or Metz.

Edited to add:  I take any info in Edward's books with a grain of salt.  I never quote them or consider the info a definitive id until I can confirm it with another source.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 02:08:50 AM »
Quote from: "Connie"

Edited to add:  I take any info in Edward's books with a grain of salt.  I never quote them or consider the info a definitive id until I can confirm it with another source.

Exactly!

Offline Tony H

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 07:12:06 PM »
Hi All
Just thought I would bump this one to see if anyone can help.

Anyone know what has happened to Terry I am sure he is into EAPG.

Tony H in NZ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand