No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: signed paperweight but who?  (Read 2815 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
signed paperweight but who?
« on: October 29, 2006, 06:39:58 PM »
one of the weights i got today, it measures just over2" across and 0.75" thick, in the centre is impressed a love heart, the base  the base is hollow ground and signed of which i dont know  and dated 2000

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 08:18:46 PM »
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 08:27:47 PM »
It's pretty enough, but don't you think its just a TEENY bit derivative??
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 08:36:55 PM »
By which I don't mean Ray's paperweight per se, but more the perfume bottles and vases shown on the website.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 09:18:19 PM »
Most studio glassmakers are, by definition, market driven. It is impossible to survive, as a maker or as a dealer,  without catering to market forces and the buying public's taste.

Irridised glass has a very wide appeal. Glass makers all over the world draw their inspiration from a wide range of sources, including Tiffany and Loetz as well as the irridescence found in Roman glass.

People tend to forget that Peter Layton , Siddy Langley, and Norman Stuart Clarke in the UK as well as Jack Ink, in Austria, and Lundberg as well as Orient and Flume in the US, among others, all used to do irridised work. This is not by no means an exhaustive list!

Irridised glass is a genre. My friend, Anthony Stern, once coined the phrase: "Irridised sells"!

At many stages of my career I have wondered whether I should invest in some stannous chloride. Looking back, it was probably a mistake not to have done so! :D
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 09:38:44 PM »
Quote from: "aa"
... have wondered whether I should invest in some stannous chloride. Looking back, it was probably a mistake not to have done so! :D

Nah! I remember Siddy Langley starting on that path... "oh dear" I thought, never bought any more - but she did become successful then. So AS was spot on.

It is a "Coo... pretty" thing. That keeps glass artists in gas so it can't be that bad, just not my taste.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 10:52:12 PM »
Quote from: "aa"

People tend to forget that Peter Layton , Siddy Langley, and Norman Stuart Clarke in the UK as well as Jack Ink, in Austria, and Lundberg as well as Orient and Flume in the US, among others, all used to do irridised work. This is not by no means an exhaustive list!

Yes, I have four pieces of Norman Stuart Clarke (plus some others I think are his but not signed) and they are all irridised.  But it was more the shapes I was referring to, they just don't have any originality about them at all.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand