No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: whitefriars bowl  (Read 3582 times)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
whitefriars bowl
« on: October 31, 2006, 04:15:22 PM »
Hi,
Does anyone recognise this as being Whitefriars please. I tried to list it on the Whitefriars site but can't find the link- DOH! :roll:
http://i11.tinypic.com/2ufbn0w.jpg

Thanks,
Bryn (not Brian)

"It's a minefield out there!" :mrgreen:  :wink:  :D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
whitefriars bowl
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 04:55:29 AM »
Bryn,
I'm only an enthusiast and not an expert, but I'd say this one isn't WF. Link to the site is www.whitefriars.com, then click on the Is It Whitefriars? link.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
whitefriars bowl
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 11:21:17 AM »
Bryn, you need to log onto the WF.com site before you upload images to 'IsIt WF'. I'd agree with Cathy though - not WF, but I'm no expert either.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Pat

• Members
whitefriars bowl
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 07:58:27 PM »
I'm no expert as such but I do colect some Whitefriars and I would say no to tthat bowl being WF.
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline selina

• Members
whitefriars bowl
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 10:32:26 PM »
Hi,

No idea on maker sorry, but I have a bowl very similar but in blue. Mine has a signature on the bottom. B 1923 so maybe that will help identify both.

bowl
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3953

signature
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3952

Selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
whitefriars bowl
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 06:05:09 PM »
Hi,
Thanks everyone for your advice. Sorry for the delay in replying but I've been away on business for a couple of days and could not get to a computer to check my messages. :oops:
I recently saw an identical bowl listed on Ebay which was discribed as being by Whitefriars , but nothing new there!!! That was the reason I asked the question.
It sold for about £9 as far as I can remember. I think everyone with a piece of glass with the trademark Whitefriars polished pontil automatically assumes it to be by WF.
Your sig and date are interesting though Selina I would be quite suprised if it were that old.
Cheers,
Bryn (not Brian)

"It's a minefield out there!" :mrgreen:  :wink:  :D

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
whitefriars bowl
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 06:24:23 PM »
I think everyone with a piece of glass with the trademark Whitefriars polished pontil automatically assumes it to be by WF.

Or Webb. I've noticed a few auctions listing as "Whitefriars/Webb", although I understand that every Webb item has the acid-etched logo by the ground pontil.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline selina

• Members
whitefriars bowl
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 10:57:07 PM »
Hi again Bryn,

Ive never had cause to doubt it as it was bought quite a long time ago. Most of my glass was, I started buying bits and pieces years and years ago, before art glass collecting was even popular here. Back then you could pick up pieces everywhere for next to nothing so people had no reason to fake signatures and the like. Now I must admit, I havent learnt very much over those years...I collected purely on what I liked and what appealed to me in art glass or anything else. I ended up with quite a lot of overseas glass by default as Australia has quite a high migration from other countries :) And also to my delight, Italian immigrants came over in the early days and bought a lot of glass with them.

These days Im more inclined to not buy anything because of the cheaper copies and the Chinese art glass that has flooded the market. Also the replica glass etc etc..it goes on and on.  Most of my buys were from garage sales, ppl selling off 'old fashioned' items to make room for the new or car boot sales.

So I think it could be more than likely that the date on this bowl..one of the very first I ever bought..could be correct :)

Selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
whitefriars bowl
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 11:10:50 PM »
On the flip-side, it could also be a pattern/production code etched onto the glass, rather than a date.

Offline selina

• Members
whitefriars bowl
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 11:18:15 PM »
Yep, it could be...so that would help us identify either of the bowls if anyone recognises it  :D

Selina
Trudy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand