No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Eisner or Bohemian?  (Read 2119 times)

Offline rayh

• Members
Eisner or Bohemian?
« on: November 03, 2006, 11:43:22 PM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Eisner or Bohemian?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 12:54:20 AM »
It does not have features that would suggest Eisner type to me.

I think it's "Bohemian" and could be more modern than old.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rayh

• Members
Eisner or Bohemian?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 03:30:07 PM »
Thanks Kevin----The reason for the question was the text and photos in Bob Hall's Scottish paperweights pp53.  Here he shows two quite different styles of flower weight which he says are definitely Eisner. the one style bears a striking resemblance to the weight on e-bay that I asked about.
What age would you reckon the e-bay one to be---30's  or nearer te 70's?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Eisner or Bohemian?
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 08:20:38 PM »
The information in Scottish Paperweights was accurate according to the knowledge at that time. However, we must take account of the fact that the weights believed to be by Eisner are simply a copy of what he would have known (and presumably made) in Czechoslovakia before moving to the UK. And that style of weight, with both plain coloured and striped petals, also conntiuned into modern European output.

So far I have never seen any "Eisner" weight that has a translucent and well-formed pot. What is a common feature of the ones I have seen is that some of the petals have, on the underside, a neat grid of tiny air bubbles, presumably formed by nodules in a tool used to shape the petal. The example in the eBay listing does not have the grid feature - just random and variable sized bubbles.

Of the few "Eisner" weights I have seen with striped petals, none have been as clean and tidy as the example in the eBay listing. The "Eisner" ones often have dark "patches" on the upper side of the petals, and this also applies to plain coloured petals, too.

In truth, I don't know the date ranges of the European flower weights of this type but the colours, pot form, and general tidyness make me think they are not too old.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Eisner or Bohemian?
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 11:11:07 AM »
The Eisner story is still unfolding, on this board:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2287.0.html