No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help describing vases and maker  (Read 2093 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Help describing vases and maker
« on: November 04, 2006, 06:42:48 AM »
Hi,

I bought these 2 vases today and Ive been trying to find out information about them but dont even know what to call them. Obviously just searching vases leads me to thousands of places. Can anyone help me with a description of what they are so I can at least start somewhere? There is no makers mark, they stand just over 8" high and dont seem particularly good quality. I just really liked them and something about them appealed to me. I may sell them down the track...I cant keep everything, or maybe just one of them  :D So even if I would class them as pressed glass or moulded glass? Anything will help me, Im at a dead end.

Vases
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3977

bases
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3976

Selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
possible use
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 07:37:09 AM »
Some people consider these colorful glass onjects candle holders. They would use a tea candle or a votive size candle.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 08:44:59 AM »
obviously pressed glass goblets. I've seen these with an Avon mark on the bottom....

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 09:35:50 AM »
Thanks, the shape I thought was goblet but they are quite large. The top half measures 12cm in height and the width is 10cm.
There is no A or any markings and I thought pretty much all Avon was marked. They wouldnt hold a votive either I dont think. Hence me thinking they are vases. But I'll try under those anyway to see what I come up with

Selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 10:00:42 AM »
Came up with some Avon goblets that were similar, made by Fostoria but they all had either George or Martha Washington on them. These have nothing. And they were all blue, and I have the two colours.

Maybe they were made by Fostoria for Avon for the Australian or overseas market? They're going if they are Avon  :?
I seem to be having no luck any more with buying glass. Thats another reason I do it so rarely these days.

Selina
Trudy

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 10:44:43 AM »
Hi Selina - the shape of these goblets remind me of thistles ....

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 01:04:02 AM »
I've seen these attributed to Fostoria, commissioned by Avon, in the 1970s. Several appear with cameo faces, like the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230045068915

All the best,
Cathy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand