No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Oh Gosh, Oh My .... this piece made me sigh!  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Oh Gosh, Oh My .... this piece made me sigh!
« on: November 04, 2006, 01:43:26 AM »
Went to an antiques/collectibles show today and for paperweights it was a total bust  :cry:.  I was, however, stopped in my tracks by an oh-so-loverly small vase (truly vah-zzzz).  I hesitate to even attempt to describe it with my lay-person's language, but the signature was Galle.  I believe it had a star in front of the name.  It was love at first site but, alas, not to be.  I just had to share as it's beauty and elegance touched me.

Thanks for listening .... Lily

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 08:05:11 AM »
Hi Lily
The star signifies it was made after Emile Galles death which I believe makes it post 1905, but I'm no expert.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 10:09:51 AM »
Hi

Paul is right, about the star signifying  after Emile Galle's death -but its important to add that the * was only used for slightly over a year.  Making it quite easy to date.

Also, so far, I've not seen a Galle fake with a star on it. The other important and quick test of authenticity being - does it have a proper ground pontil.

cheers

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand