No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Im really pulling my hair out over these two pieces  (Read 3691 times)

Offline SpongeBob

• Members
Im really pulling my hair out over these two pieces
« on: November 06, 2006, 07:33:40 AM »
Hi all,
I have two pieces that I cannot find ANYWHERE. I have noticed that you guys really know your glass and I just want to say that this forum looks like a keeper! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If the picts dont show up just copy the address, you guys know the drill.:)
First off there is this vase. Green in color, stands 14 1/2 inches tall and 4 inches across. I took a picture of the bottom because it shows a pontiel mark. (maybe aid in the year made). Also you can see the bunch of glass that was left in the bottom. This and the fact that it is 1/4 in thick everywhere else tops this bad boy out at about 5-6 pounds.
Second is a sherbet purple in color and lots of flaws in the glass itself, such as bubbles, casting or press marks. Also I don't think that ANY of the sherbets have their bowls on right.... kind of tilted.

http://www.sugardog.com/~mustard/vase1a.jpg
http://www.sugardog.com/~mustard/vase1.jpg
http://www.sugardog.com/~mustard/vase3.jpg
http://www.sugardog.com/~mustard/depglass5.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 07:50:08 AM »
the sherbet is just that - a sherbet.  I have neither any clue not any curiosity as to the maker.

The olive coloured bottle vase is contemporary, loosely based on Otto Brauer's Gulvase from 1962 - but executed in a heavy manner either in India or in Poland. The weight of the thing is a giveaway, as is the pontil treatment ("it will not scratch your table but we could not bother to grind it out properly"). I think they used to be in the Ikea range - not now 100% sure of that.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 09:35:00 AM »
Hello.

Welcome to the board.

Ikea / Habitat / or a similar homeware store would be my guess for the green bottle vase too.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Im really pulling my hair out over these two pieces
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 10:57:11 AM »
Quote from: "SpongeBob"

First off there is this vase. Green in color, stands 14 1/2 inches tall and 4 inches across. I took a picture of the bottom because it shows a pontiel mark. (maybe aid in the year made). Also you can see the bunch of glass that was left in the bottom. This and the fact that it is 1/4 in thick everywhere else tops this bad boy out at about 5-6 pounds.
Second is a sherbet purple in color and lots of flaws in the glass itself, such as bubbles, casting or press marks. Also I don't think that ANY of the sherbets have their bowls on right.... kind of tilted.

Hi SB, I wouldn't be presumptious enough to think I could offer any more info than either Ivo or Nic who both know their stuff - all I wanted to say was with regard to the sherbet bowls.  My experience is with dishes/bowls like these is that unless they're very distinctive looking or obviously good quality generally speaking they could have been manufactured by anyone - especially if, like you say, they've got lots of bubbles, casting and press marks and the bowls are on wonky - it would indicate a fairly crude manufacture.  If you're wanting to know more about them in order to sell them on, my personal opinion is that you'd perhaps be better off concentrating on describing them clearly, talking about their usefulness and selling them that way rather than trying to pinpoint a manufacturer.  I hope that helps :-)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 12:58:53 PM »
I would guess that the sherberts date to the first half of the last century (20th) judging by their quality, mould marks and sun purpling

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 02:57:44 PM »
I'd second that, Christine. Perhaps even EAPG, especially if SpongeBob is in the US.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 04:19:43 PM »
Quote from: "Lustrousstone"
I would guess that the sherberts date to the first half of the last century (20th) judging by their quality, mould marks and sun purpling

Funnily enough, I immediately thought it looked like sun purpling, but I thought it was too much of a coincidence, given our recent conversation on here.  If they are sun purpled, might they have a higher value to people that collect such items?  Just a thought.
I am not a man

Offline SpongeBob

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 06:23:39 PM »
Quote from: "Cathy Bannister"
I'd second that, Christine. Perhaps even EAPG, especially if SpongeBob is in the US.

Hi all,
Thank you for the very quick responses ALL OF  YOU. This is why, just by reading posts, I stated 'this forum is a keeper'.  
  I just had a quick query as to what is EAPG. I know it's probably something that all glass people know, but ask me anything about heating. air conditioning and refrigeration and I will light up your life...:). Glass - well Im about in third grade. And yes Cathy, I am in the US, abut right in around the Great Lakes area. Thanks again
 SongeBob

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 08:12:23 PM »
EAPG = Early American Pattern Glass.

There's info on it here: http://www.eapglass.com/

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 12:23:01 AM »
Quote from: "Max"
Quote from: "Lustrousstone"

Funnily enough, I immediately thought it looked like sun purpling, but I thought it was too much of a coincidence, given our recent conversation on here.  If they are sun purpled, might they have a higher value to people that collect such items?  Just a thought.

Possibly, but I'm not sure I'd be encouraging it. Life's confusing enough as it is without dodgy dealers altering their wares.  :shock:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand