No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Im really pulling my hair out over these two pieces  (Read 3683 times)

Offline liberty1

• Members
Im really pulling my hair out over these two pieces
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 02:22:41 PM »
I am sometimes a bit scared to 'voice' my humble opinion in the presence of such knowledge as is on this board but I'm feeling a bit adventurous so I will try not to confuse but throw another line as to the age rather than the maker.
The sherbet things if I had picked them up in the UK  I would have said late 19th century because of the bubbles and inclusions and the style as to the  Ikea Habitat clue last time I was in Ikea or Habitat their glass was always very well finished off not a bit chunky pontil like at all. Have they slipped in their quality?
Now you can shoot me down in flames :)

Cheers
Doris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 08:19:47 PM »
You could be right about the sherberts but the sun purpling is less of a clue to age in sunnier climes and I always feels that a lot of the just pre and post WW2 stuff is of dubious quality.

I also tend to agree with you about Ikea/Habitat quality, Poundland might be nearer the mark. I suspect Ivo means the sort of stuff that's stacked high at the wholesaler for every Tom, Dick and Harry Gifte Shoppe

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline liberty1

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 12:40:13 AM »
Yes Christine Ikea and the like are far too professional to allow obvious  faulted goods on their shelves. I am of the opinion that their glass works are very professional and nice items to boot having being fooled to thinking I was buying a quite substantial piece of Swedish glass once only to find it was Ikea then  taking a step back and then thinking------- well I like it so there!
 Perhaps it is this that is pushing me towards the older glass which usually has so many faults that no-one would want to copy that.
Even that is not true because I tend to like all glass and finding out the history or the maker is part of the fun don't you think?
Cheers
Doris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand