No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Astra Glass - updated info  (Read 12297 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Astra Glass - updated info
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 10:49:45 PM »
Of course, rather like those Czech patterns with names like Doris which actually sound very English. I'm getting used to the idea that very little is how it seems at first sight in glass!  :o

Curiously enough, a search of eBay today produced an advert dated 1949, for Astra Ware glass by Jones & Co. - I have no idea if this Astra ware has a connection to my glasses though, or who Jones & Co are either.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Sklounion

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 04:44:04 AM »
Hi Anne,
They were:
Jones and Co (Glass) Ltd, Ely House, Charterhouse Street London E.C.1.
They were a significant importer of Czechoslovakian glass, and I doubt if there was another UK glass importer who would have been using the "Astra" brand at the same time.
I believe now they are called Czech Crystal, and operate with a web-site www.bohemiacrystal.co.uk
I did talk to them last year whilst attempting to collect material for a book on glass imports to the UK, and the importers, over a 50 year period.
This project has hit several problems and is consigned to the back burner for the moment.
Regards,
Marcus

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Sklounion

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 07:59:32 AM »
Hi,
Link working ok for me....
imho, these glasses are probably from Novy Bor, tho Borocrystal or Borske Sklo, I couldn't be precise. The finish is reminiscent of that used by Kannegieser, for the "Nemo" range, also made by Borske Sklo.
I think this link still works:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7405168274
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 12:55:09 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320046633909

A set of Astra Glasses in the same box as mine came in, but these tumblers are labelled. :)  Seller states:
Original label to each with the initials "JC" ~ "Made in Belgium"

So, could JC as above be connected to the previously mentioned Jones & Co or is the similarity just a co-incidence?

Does anyone know anything about who JC may have been and who may have made these glasses Belgium please?

If JC are in fact Jones & Co. they could have been importing from Czechoslovakia as Marcus said and from the unknown maker in Belgium as well, of course, but finding the JC labels with the Astra box is a huge step forward in my search! :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Astra Glass - updated info
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 11:21:24 AM »
Just to renovate this topic following some findings of my own.

The Novy Bor link is possible - but according to Ivo's book, "Astera" is the glassworks, not 'Astra', so I'm wondering if there's some cross-pollination of glass going on?

However, my findings take a different slant regarding the Astra label. Firstly, there's a label that's surfaced on a slumped glass item, that's commonly known in the Sunburst pattern:

Photo © Gordon More

Here's an example of the Sunburst pattern:

Very Chance-like — but it isn't!

Finally, a press release dated 1966 from Jones & Co. showing the Sunburst design:

A possible reason for these is that Jones & Co were importing glassware made by Spiegelunion Flabeg GmbH and rebadging it using the Astra Glassware label. This might link in with other Astra labels that figure on unrelated items, like blown or stemware.

Incidentally, the designer is noted as being Margrit Thacker.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 12:01:41 PM »
Interesting that it says MADE in England, a bit like the Danish Glass the other day. Perhaps made was a very loose term in the 1960s

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 12:13:52 PM »
I Have been following this thread with interest.  I have two bud vases with a JC label.  I too was told these were Jones and Co. but BIRMINGHAM.  I have never been able to find any more information about this, so I have not put it on my site.  My labels say Made in Sweden, but a fellow collector has sent me an image of a JC label which says made in Czechoslovakia, which seems to tie in whith what has been discussed here today. These can be seen in the Identification/Labels section then click on JC

www.glassbudvases.co.uk

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 12:21:54 PM »
Interesting that it says MADE in England, a bit like the Danish Glass the other day. Perhaps made was a very loose term in the 1960s
Could be the same as those 'Made in Murano' labels ;)

Thanks for the input, Pat. I do wonder if these labels are Jones & Co.: being importers the company was linked to several glass manufacturers, so it is entirely possible. I also wonder if the Astra label is yet another red herring, and another company (unrelated to Jones) importing the glass?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 03:14:02 PM »
Interesting that it says MADE in England... ...Perhaps made was a very loose term in the 1960s

There was a very deliberate made in Britain campaign in the 1960's, that utilised a Union Jack sticker. Any company that marketed glass as Made in England when it was not would have been quickly uncovered and fined - In 1950 Jones continued to advertise Astra Glassware and other 'Made in England' ranges. They did not seem to bother too much with all of the potential trade directory options open to them and do not seem to have reached the 60's. This sort of question should be easier to resolve as the glass study develops.

Sklounion

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 03:24:49 PM »
do not seem to have reached the 60's.
??
Not sure in what sense you mean, Frank.
They were very definitely around in the 1960's and somewhere I have a reference to them in CGR in the late 1980s.
Some importers had their own production capacity, (ie Heppners and Western Glass) others commissioned from UK makers when experiencing supply difficulties.
Regards,
Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand