No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anyone help me with these glass paperweights?  (Read 2602 times)

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
Can anyone help me with these glass paperweights?
« on: November 07, 2006, 05:28:11 PM »
Hi all,

There's a lot with several glass paperweights (and a vase) in an auction tomorrow, one of which rings a vague bell with me, and I would be grateful if anyone had time to look at my piccies at the address below and let me know if you recognise any of them.

The one which is teasing me in particular is the red fading to yellow bird. There are several lovely pieces (including a Karlsbad Moser vase) in the sale, so I'm hoping these might be 'something' as well!

Thanks in anticipation, John.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v519/hog-man/glass%20paperweights/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 09:28:26 PM »
All the paperweights in that link?  And the vase?  This isn't an pre-bid auction assessment board ya know!   :roll:
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
well,
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 09:32:21 PM »
Nothing I see stands out and makes any of the pieces shown truly special. The appeal is to your own eye, what you collect, and what you find attractive and/or interesting. As collectibles, they are not big ticket items or even paperweights in the traditional, classic, or contemproary studio mold. The glass panda is intriguing, especially if it's China-made because China is the natural home of the panda. It's always good to see China make glass objects that depict their history and habitat. But it is still a low estimate item, as, it would seem, are all the rest.

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 09:34:54 PM »
Hi Max. I know I'm pushing my luck, but it doesn't hurt to try! The one that's really bugging me is the yellow/red bird, but thought I'd see what I could find out about any of the others the same time.

And thanks for your comments wrightoutlook ~ appreciate what you say.

Cheers, John.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 09:43:13 PM »
It's only my opinion John, and I like you - you know that - but I think it's over the top putting so many items up for attribution before you buy them.  It doesn't sit well with me at all.  I can't think of an occasion where I've asked before bidding even once on the board, although I have once or twice asked an individual person that I knew well by email.

If I did ask before I bid each time, I wouldn't have a shed full of tat and my 'learning curve' of glass.  But that's the process we all have to go through.   :?
I am not a man

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 09:50:01 PM »
That's fair enough Max. In my defence, I do buy most of my stuff without asking for help/attribution and in this case was really only hoping for information about the one piece ~ I didn't think that any of the rest were special. And I do find this a very helpful resource which contributes to my own learning curve.

No hard feelings I hope, and I'll take on board what you say. Cheers, John.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 09:51:40 PM »
Quote from: "johnfandmaryp"

No hard feelings I hope, and I'll take on board what you say. Cheers, John.

None at all.  Thanks for listening.   :D  x
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 09:53:10 PM »
As long as you share the auction date and venue then it is no different to asking about an ebay auction.

Many do find it highly irritating and become reluctant to respond to any of your questions. There was a recent discussion on this subject in the cafe. The principle of this forum is sharing and that goes not just for identification but also upcoming sales.

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 09:56:41 PM »
Thanks for that Frank ~ I'll certainly bear it in mind for the future. As this auction is at 9.30 tomorrow morning, I guess it's too late this time!

I really don't want to upset anyone, and truly appreciate all the help I've had to date, so will bear in mind all the comments this has raised.

With apologies, John. :oops:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand