No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stunning Barolac Opalescent Swallows Bowl  (Read 5571 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Stunning Barolac Opalescent Swallows Bowl
« on: November 07, 2006, 07:04:32 PM »
Hi

I thought I share this item which I found at Sandown Park fair today, a stunnining large Barolac Oplaescent Bowl decorated in relief with swallows, looking back I can see Barolac has been a topic earlier this year, this piece looks old 1930's original , it measures 13.5 inches in diameter and stands 3 inches tall and weighs a very heavy 2.4 kgs, its acid etched on base Czeono-Slovakia and Barolac, any other information as to year and designer etc, I must admit when I first saw the Bowl I thought of P D Avesn from france

many thanks regards roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline B & M

• Members
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 08:11:03 PM »
Hello Roy,
Design is shown in the 1948 Glassexport-barolac catalogue (from Pressglas-Korrespondenz 2006-1-01) as pattern number 11571, though the design probably dates from the mid 1930s.

I've no knowledge as to who would have designed the piece; some of the pre war Barolac patterns are attributed to Douglas Jenkins of John Jenkins & Sons, such as the 'loss of the Revenge' vase shown in Cyril Manley's book. However, I believe some may have originated in house at Inwald. Perhaps Marcus or Glen will be able to add more.

Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Sklounion

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 08:32:02 PM »
Steven,
Thanks for your confidence in Glen and I.
I know that Glen has deep reservations that any of these designs originate other than with Douglas Jenkins. I have found no contemporary support for the idea, that any "Barolac" designs were executed by Rudolf Schrötter, despite several items being attributed as such in the 1972  Gottwaldov catalogue.
Certainly, for the most part these are 1930's designs, (the pattern number clearly falling within the 1930's,) and with the exception of the Barolac "Marguerite" pattern, (for which there are well documented additions to the range) and Glassexport marketing issues in the 1960's,  for the most part, these remain undiluted by later additions to the ranges.
Opalescent does seem to be an inter-war characteristic, as little opalescent appears to have been made post-war, and what post-war production there was, for the most part, seems to be of inferior mould quality.

Regards,

Marcus

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 12:36:04 AM »
Hi

I have a faded and bedraggled photocopy of what I believe to be a 30s Barolac catalogue -which appears to be complete and only has a very small number of vases and a handful of other items on it.

It includes your lovely bowl.

Also almost all the pieces in this catalogue I have see at one time or another in the same greyish opalescence.  (The same, I think, as your bowl but I can't tell for sure - due to the photo's colouring)

I have also seen versions all of them as what I observe to be -what should one say? - 'later copies' as in the Weil catalogue -but these are never in that grey opalescence.

So I have always assumed -without proof I admit - that the grey opalescence was only used in the earliest production ie  pre war,

I hope this helps

sorry for all the 'conditionals'

cheers

Mike

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 08:39:52 AM »
As Marcus noted above, I feel that the inspiration for many of the Barolac designs came from Douglas Jenkins (but I do not have proof absolute).

I agree with the approx date (1930s) as suggested above.

The bowl was shown in the Barolac catalogue (item number 11571) and was also shown (described as "Swallows" bowl) in John Jenkins & Sons own "Barolac" catalogue. I also have copies of a large original blueprint drawing of the bowl.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 03:02:43 PM »
Many thanks for all your comments , I have included a couple more pictures taken inday light  as the 1st ones were with a flash, its interesting that Barolac can be up with the Lalique in the more expensive range of opalesent glass, which I saw on the Cambridge glass fairs latest post card, sad there is not more of the original Barolac opalesent glass other than the Palm tree bowls and plates

many thanks roy

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Stunning Barolac Opalescent Swallows Bowl
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 04:23:00 PM »
Roy, your first post photos have vanished and the second lot turned into something else. Do you have the originals that we can replace them with please?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand