No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian? Votives  (Read 5973 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Scandinavian? Votives
« on: November 09, 2006, 11:35:02 AM »
Some time earlier this year I posted a query about a Kosta Boda Votive and mentioned that I had a couple of others.  I wonder if I might ask for help identifying the makers and / or designers of these?  I think they are Scandi.  The windows one was bought new in the '70's, from a shop that had a lot of Scandi glass, but I originally bought it for my old mum, who took the label off - and now I don't remember what it was like  :oops:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/normal_Leaf_candle_holder.jpg
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/normal_Windows_Candle_Holder.jpg

Many thanks     :D
Leni

Offline Graphite

• Members
Scandinavian? Votives
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 01:35:13 PM »
Hi Leni, the second one is Finnish, have a vague notion that it could be Humppila (or then Muurla). Not sure!

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Scandinavian? Votives
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 03:49:02 PM »
The votive in your first image is from Orrefors. If you look closely, there should be an of on the bottom of the form. If not, it is a second.

Bill Geary

Offline Leni

• Members
Scandinavian? Votives
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 04:24:59 PM »
Quote from: "Bill G"
If you look closely, there should be an of on the bottom

:shock:  Gosh, Bill!  There is, too!   :oops:  And all this time I'd never noticed it  :roll:  

But it is very small and discreet, and right at the edge of the otherwise completely smooth polished base!  

That's my excuse, anyway  :oops:  :lol:

Thank you!
Leni

Offline Leni

• Members
Scandinavian? Votives
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 04:43:02 PM »
Quote from: "Graphite"
Hi Leni, the second one is Finnish, have a vague notion that it could be Humppila (or then Muurla). Not sure!

Thank you very much  :D

I'm interested to know how you recognise this.  Is it a design you know?  Or is it something about the style?  Or what?   :?  (Just trying to learn  :wink: )
Leni

Offline Marika

• Members
    • Marikan Maljakot / Marika's Vases
Scandinavian? Votives
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 06:34:33 PM »
Hi Leni

Second one looks like Iittala, Balladi votive designed by Jorma Vennola in 1983. If it's 80 mm high I think it's Balladi.

Marika  :lol:

www.marikan-maljakot.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Scandinavian? Votives
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 07:11:12 PM »
Quote from: "Marika"
If it's 80 mm high I think it's Balladi.

It is exactly 80mm!  Marinka, you're a star!   :lol:

So it was designed in 1983?  I thought it was earlier, but thinking about it, we moved here in late 1979 so it is very possible it was 1983 or 4 when I bought it for my mum for Christmas!   :D

Thanks very much!  Can I ask how you recognised it?  Is there a catalogue or something which shows it?    :shock:
Leni

Offline Marika

• Members
    • Marikan Maljakot / Marika's Vases
Scandinavian? Votives
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 07:30:16 PM »
Hi

When I saw that picture I was tinking of Balladi but I had to make sure and check that from little book called Tuikkujen pikkujättiläinen.
It's little book about finnish votives. Pictures are either drawn of photo and there is almoust 200 different finnish votives. Handy little book.

www.marikan-maljakot.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Scandinavian? Votives
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 08:33:19 PM »
Quote from: "Marika"
Hi

When I saw that picture I was tinking of Balladi but I had to make sure and check that from little book called Tuikkujen pikkujättiläinen.
It's little book about finnish votives. Pictures are either drawn of photo and there is almoust 200 different finnish votives. Handy little book.

www.marikan-maljakot.com

That sounds very useful - thanks for sharing that with us Marika  :wink:  I'm off to see where I can buy a copy now...

Offline Graphite

• Members
Scandinavian? Votives
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 10:20:26 AM »
Thanks Marika! I remember seeing the votive somewhere. It is ME who is learning. :roll:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand