No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who created Phoenix Paperweights? Where did they go? w/Photo  (Read 9913 times)

Offline heatandsand

• Members
all very interesting, yet a little bit odd
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 04:54:40 PM »
I will say this, the original comment about the Phoenix paperweights is interesting. They are very lovely weights.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glass Message Board

• Committee
  • Members
    • Glass Message Board
Who created Phoenix Paperweights? Where did they go? w/Photo
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 09:52:08 PM »
Certain parts of this thread have been removed.

The discussion about the person in question is not for the Committee to resolve. It is something which only the board owner, can change if and when she and person involved decide to do so. Further speculation on the board about the reasons and about any activity taken or not taken by the Committee is not helpful, and we would request that you respect the situation as is until such time as those involved are agreeable to it being changed.

Thank you.
This is an official message by the Glass Message Board Committee.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
clarification
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 03:45:46 PM »
Quote from: "mjr"
As I mentioned earlier, there was cross fertilisation and WM would have made / helped make the PP weights.
I seem to recall two series of 12 weights PP1-PP12 and PP13-24.
Rosette Fleming  is a very fine Caithness lampworker (according to Frank's Scottish glass site, trained by Allan Scott .
WM Junior was a very good glass maker on his own and would have been involved in the making of these weights.

Thanks MJR for the information. I gather that the thread got a tad off-topic. Anyway, I am always interested in hearing that a woman is involved in the making of any paperweights, which has mostly been a male-dominated industry/art form. It was good to read about Ms. Fleming. Some other information may have been lost due to pulled posts.

So, can we clarify and certify the mythology and intent of Phoenix Paperweights? The name, of course, comes from the mythological bird that rose again, which seems to imply that Phoenix Paperweights rose from something failed.

Therefore, is the assumption correct that it was NOT created as an off-shoot of, or a reaction to, the closed Perthshire factory? Or was it? Did William Manson, Sr. see an opportunity to take on a couple of, or a few, people from Perthshire and create a mini-studio within his own studio?

Looking at my own two new Phoenix works and seeing photos of others, especially MJR's beauties, there's no doubt that these paperweights are of the highest quality. Of course, these Phoenix creations and the intrique surrounding their manufacture add to the fascinating puzzle that is the glass paperweight.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Who created Phoenix Paperweights? Where did they go? w/Photo
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 11:33:25 PM »
So, can we clarify and certify the mythology and intent of Phoenix Paperweights? ...  is the assumption correct that it was NOT created as an off-shoot of, or a reaction to, the closed Perthshire factory? Or was it?
The creation of Phoenix Paperweights was, as stated by others, a "reaction" to the closure of Perthshire Paperweights [in Jan 2002]. It was intended to provide a means for the three workers mentioned to be able to continue weights in the Perthshire Paperweights style and quality.

The official launch (announcement) was made at the 8 June 2002 meeting of the Cambrdige Paperweight Circle. Willie and Joyce Manson were short notice guest speakers after the original speaker had unfortunately been unable to attend. The initial 12 master samples of the Phoenix Paperweights products were first shown at that CPC meeting.

I can add nothing to what others have said about the actual makers of the Phoenix range of weights.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
okay
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 09:02:19 AM »
Thanks Kevin.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum