No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard Label circa 1945  (Read 10821 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Holmegaard Label circa 1945
« on: November 09, 2006, 04:30:09 PM »
This is the first time I've seen a Holmegaard piece with a pre-1950s label - it just arrived in the post this morning.

The decanter, a hand-painted kuttrolf, pops up in the 1945 catalogue. The label, as far as I can tell, was replaced in 1950 with a similar label, in red, which has a crown protruding from the circular shape.

I just thought it might be a handy reference point, is all.

Decanter
Label

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 08:52:58 PM »
I understood that the red labels was put on exported items (especially to the USA).  I have a similar blue label on a bud vase that says "Kastrup Holmegaard" which would be after 1965 when Kastrup merged with Holmegaard. I have also included an image of the red label for comparison.
http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk/images/holmegaard.jpg
http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk/images/holmegaardlabel.jpg
http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk/images/redholmegaardlabel.jpg

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 09:52:28 PM »
Hello, sorry for the delay in replying - have had an extended weekend away.

You're right that a red label was used for (primarily) trans-Atlantic export pre-1965, but it was a slightly different one to the label on your vase:

The red label on yours, as far as I can tell, was for general domestic and European use, as I've bought items direct from Denmark bearing it, as well as a few bits and bobs from mainland Europe and the UK. Any 1950s labeled items I've bought from USA/Canada have had the twin labels as above.

The blue label dates between 1965-71, when the Kastrup name was dropped.

Offline bubbles

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 11:14:27 PM »
Great! learning something new all the time on this site, thanks.  
So just to confirm, the red label I have on my vase with the protruding crown is the one you were referring to, and would have been used between 1950 and 1965?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 11:23:42 PM »
That's the one!

As far as I can tell it does date 1950-65. I've not seen it used on designs dating before 1950 (that's not exactly conclusive evidence, just a guess based on observation). I can say for certain that it was used until at least 1963, as I've a signed/dated vase with it - and I'm just assuming that it was in circulation until 1965.

Offline bubbles

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 12:23:37 AM »
Thanks Nic.  I have a few more Holmegaard labels, so I will have to take a closer look, but it will have to be later as everthing is packed up ready for a house move.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 01:51:05 PM »
Here's a round-up of all the dates I have so far:

General Holmegaard Labels:
Black Holmegaard Label Used: 1936 (?) - 1950 (?)
Red Holmegaard Label Used: 1950 (?) - 1965
Blue and White Kastrup-Holmegaard Label Used: 1965-1970/71
Square Holmegaard Label Used: 1970/71 - At least the late 1990s (Possibly later?)
Plastic Holmegaard Label Used: Late 90s (?) - Present.

Holmegaard Export Labels:
American Export Circa 1950s, possibly until 1965.

Pressed Glass Labels:
Circular 'K' Label Candleholder bought in Canada around 1962-64. Label is specific to utilitarian pressed glass, it seems. There's a similar one which has 'KH' on it, for the later 1965 Kastrup-Holmegaard merger.

Kastrup Labels:
Circular Label 19?? - 1960/61. Seen on a JE Bang pitcher set designed in 1960
Square Label 1960/61 - 1965. Seen on a JE Bang 'Capri' vase designed 1961.

If anyone can fill in any of the gaps, that would be amazing!  :D

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Holmegaard Label circa 1945
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 10:15:33 PM »
Addendum:

Taking on information from Andy McConnell's '20th Century Glass' and digging further, it does look as though the red Holmegaard label dates back to 1936 (certainly as far back as 1938, from a catalogue I found). The Black label was possibly used on certain types of glass (surface decorated, maybe?) in the same timeframe as the aforementioned red label. It's unlikely an export label, as the text is in Danish.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 07:24:41 PM »
Addendum 2:

I give up! I've just been going through my collection for the research website, and I've spotted that there are FOUR variations of the circular red label I'd not noticed before! It did strike me that 1936-65 was a long time to have the same label without being tempted to at least tweak it a bit.  ;D

Red Variation 1 - As illustrated in McConnell. Probably c.1950s.

Red Variation 2 - Taken from a 1962 'Greenland' vase.

Red Variation 3 - Taken from a boxed set of 'Skotland' glasses. I think the design hails from 1961, but I'm just working from a very sketchy drawing in 'Glass is Life'. Added to my uncertainty is the fact that the original packaging looks earlier. Note that the label bears the number 42.

Red Variation 4a and...
Red Variation 4b The first label is taken from a boxed set of 'Elsinor' glasses, with packaging probably getting towards 1965, and the second label from a set of 'Copenhagen' glasses, no box, so no idea of production date. They too also have numbers on the labels, but I can't figure out the significance of them. The second label also has a different texture - it's glossy and embossed, whereas the first one is flat and papery.

Why is life never simple?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 12:25:22 AM »
Have put all of the labels in a neat and tidy place insteading of endlessly addendumming this thread to death - it's on the first (partial) page of the Holmegaard site. Coulple (well, four) more labels to add, a bit of translation (by a person much cleverer than I), and a LOAD of dates to verify (hopefully will be working with the Holmegaard museum on that one this week).

But until then... ta-da!

Site Preview

(Please note that only this page works so far!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand