No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rose Pink Daisy and Button Tumble Up Hobbs?  (Read 3006 times)

Offline KSilverMoore

• Members
Rose Pink Daisy and Button Tumble Up Hobbs?
« on: November 11, 2006, 03:45:58 AM »
Hi, I recently purchased a really lovely rose pink Daisy and Button tumble up set--a bedside carafe and a matching tumbler that fits nicely on top of it. The daisy and button pattern is accented by a drapery pattern--three times on the tumbler and on the carafe. The carafe is actually a bottle shape and is about 8 inches tall and about 3 1/2 inches in diameter at widest point. The tumbler is short and squat at a little less than 3 1/2 inches tall and 2 1/4 inches in diameter, with the daisies and buttons not going all the way to the top. The set is very well made, and in my opinion, it seems old, possibly Depression era or even Victorian. The quality of it reminds me of Hobbs Brokunier, and I know they made Daisy and Button items, but I didn't think they made this pattern in pink. The only other option I've come across in my research is Brokowitz, but I know nothing about this company and am not even sure they made any daisy and button items. I could post a photo, but I haven't had the chance to take one yet. Any ideas? Thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 10:07:18 AM »
Hi and welcome to GMB.

In all cases when identifying glassware, a photo would help incredibly. Someone might help based on the detail you give, but it may not be conclusive.

See the following topic on posting photos:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html

I was interested in your description 'tumble-up' set — I have a few myself but did wonder what the term used elsewhere was. In the UK I believe they are called 'bedside set'.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KSilverMoore

• Members
Photo Size
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 04:43:36 PM »
Unfortunately my file size was too big to upload into the glass gallery and I'm clueless as to how to fix this problem. My husband's the photographer in our family, and he's not around. Any suggestions on such a lame technical issue would be appreciated.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 04:50:52 PM »
Download a program called Irfanview http://www.irfanview.com and reduce the physical size of the photo (say, 640 as the largest 'pixel' dimension). Then save as a 'JPEG' using a modicum of compression (say, set the slider to '80').

Always use a different filename to avoid overwriting your original file, which you may need at some time.

Also refer to my own site: http://www.glassyeye.com and click 'Photos & Imagery' menu item, then 'How to... Edit Images' for a tutorial on Irfanview.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 05:36:10 PM »
Quote from: "DenCill"
I was interested in your description 'tumble-up' set — I have a few myself but did wonder what the term used elsewhere was. In the UK I believe they are called 'bedside set'.

Or a "night set", I think.

As a "by the way"......Carnival Glass collectors always refer to them as "tumble-ups"  :D

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 06:36:50 PM »
Quote from: "Glen"
As a "by the way"......Carnival Glass collectors always refer to them as "tumble-ups"  :D

Thanks for that: I assume that's the American influence?
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 08:09:57 PM »
Actually I have seen them described in old English catalogues as "Carafe and Up", so maybe it's a hybrid that has evolved.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 08:22:51 PM »
Hi, this is one of the Brockwitz #Sturzflaschen# tumble ups and there are more on my site
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/karaffen/01302.html
is yours familiar to them?
Is there ANY mark inside, outside, bottom?
Scailmont Belgium is another proposal  8)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline KSilverMoore

• Members
Picture to Come
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 02:37:58 AM »
The bottle is very similar in shape to the Brockowitz bedside sets--with the long neck of the bottle and thick lip at the top of it, which is why I thought there could be a connection. I am trying to get a picture up and will do so as soon as I have to time to figure out how! Hopefully tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.

Offline KSilverMoore

• Members
Photo Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 04:52:47 PM »
I'm a bit frustrated because I did everything I was supposed to do--set to less than 96 dpi, resized to less than 1000 pixels x 1000 pixels, and made sure that my resized image is less than 200kb in total size--and though it said my photos were successfully uploaded, no photos showed, just a red X. I'd really like to get these photos up, but I'm not sure what else to do. Any further suggestions? And thanks for your patience.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand