No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson and Dogs!  (Read 3066 times)

Offline nicola

• Members
Davidson and Dogs!
« on: November 14, 2006, 06:16:10 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I recently bought 'A short history of Geo. Davidson and Co Ltd' by Claude L. Fraser and was interested to read the following -

"Under Thomas Davidson's guidance and able administration the firm increased its range of products, and quite a number of specialities were being produced: such things as baskets, dogs, paperweights, piano insulators..."

I had always assumed that the Dog figures were made by Derbyshire
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320027276967
?

Do any of the pressed glass/Davidson experts here have any opinions on this, it all seems very peculiar!
Thanks
Nicola

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ChrisStewart

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.cloudglass.com
Davidson and Dogs!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 08:14:42 PM »
Hi Nicola,

That is the only reference to the fact that Davidson made dogs. They are not illustrated in any surviving catalogue or recorded in the Pricing Committee or production records.

If the dogs were made in Thomas's time then they would not carry the Lion trade mark, which means it is almost impossible to identify which dogs, if any were made by Davidson.

Regards

Chris

PS  Have you seen our book Davidson Glass  a history ?
from Chris Stewart

http://www.cloudglass.com - The Cloud Glass Reference Site
http://www.davidson-glass.com - Information on Davidson Glass

All images (c) Chris and Val Stewart unless otherwise stated

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline nicola

• Members
Davidson and Dogs!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 09:15:29 PM »
Thanks Chris! That is why I thought that it was so odd, because I would have imagined that they would have mentioned it in other places and the style of the dog paperweights are similar to that of the Lions...  Although there are greyhound paperweights too aren't there?  I am more of a cat person so haven't paid much attention to them before, until I read the little booklet.

I bought your book at last year's Glass Fair and it is so useful, I love it - it has been passed around all of the family and answered so many questions :)
Actually I should update my site and add it to the links etc.
Thanks again :)

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
Davidson and Dogs!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 02:18:51 PM »
I've got a vague feeling that the word "dog" in this context might mean one of the Victorian glass oddities like, for instance, knife rests or piano feet stands.  I get funny feelings sometimes, usually nonsense.

I'd forgotten that Claude Fraser had written a book.  He was my boss until he died suddenly (at a point-to-point meeting).

Adam D.

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
Davidson and Dogs!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 09:03:03 PM »
Sounds plausible to me. A bit like frogs, perhaps - anyone know why they were called that?
Heidi

Offline nicola

• Members
Davidson and Dogs!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 09:23:59 AM »
Hi Adam
Wow, it is brilliant just talking to someone who has inside knowledge.  I suppose that it could be a generic term for glass oddities.

There are acutally more items than I quoted, here is the whole list that he states is
"such things as baskets, dogs, paperweights, piano insulators, linings for the plating trade, candlesticks etc"

The book is very thin and is probably more of a piece of marketing rather than a history because he concentrates on what the company did for WW2 and afterwards.  Also, the pieces of glass that they have photographed are things that I would not associate with Davidson and in fact look a lot like Whitefriars!
Thanks for all your help
Nicola

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Davidson and Dogs!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 10:03:42 AM »
A fire-dog is a rest for logs in a fireplace, so the "dog" element could well mean a support of some kind, ie.g  a knife rest.  Does that make sense in this context?

A frog on a uniform is a cluster of braid, as a flower frog is a cluster of holes, - googling it, it seems there is a line of thought that goes back to Japanese ikebana, where they used supports shaped as animals, and the Americans who started to import these thought they looked like frogs in the water.  Seems a bit whimsical to me, but hey!  who knows?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline nicola

• Members
Davidson and Dogs!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 10:06:10 AM »
I think that could be it then! Thanks :)
I have always been curious about frogs, although it tickles me when I see people trying to describe them on eBay - my favourite is a pen holder :D
Nicola

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Davidson and Dogs!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 08:35:16 PM »
Hi

Just to add a little about the Dogs , this is the opinion of one of the worlds largest collectors of these items and 2 other large collectors that it is possible to tell the maker, and this is what I was told when I recently sold a Vaseline Dog
"quote" Yes, Roy, this is a Davidson dog.   I will send you a photo of the
undersides of J D and Davidson dogs side by side.  The ridge around the
inside and the shape of the hole for the body cavity tell which maker is
which.   The presence or absence of trenches under the front legs is not
significant.  Both makers made their dogs both ways.
The picture on left is a John Derbyshire Dog and the one on the right a Davidson Dog

I have also been told by a collector of John Derbyshire who has family connections that the Davidson Dog on the right has a stepped base on the underside

Roy mhgcgolfclub

Offline ChrisStewart

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.cloudglass.com
Davidson and Dogs!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 09:15:48 AM »
Hi,

As there is no documentary evidence that these where made by Davidson, then at best one can say is that they may be made by Davidson. They could have been made by a number of other manufacturers as well.

The only evidence I am aware off that Davidson made dogs is the quote from Claud Frasers 1948 booklet.

Regards

Chris
from Chris Stewart

http://www.cloudglass.com - The Cloud Glass Reference Site
http://www.davidson-glass.com - Information on Davidson Glass

All images (c) Chris and Val Stewart unless otherwise stated

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum